Re: [WorldTransport] TransMilenio/Metro comarisons/benchmarks

  • Oscar Edmundo Diaz
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 14, 2001
      I would like to share this numbers with you

      Metro Madrid Passengers/Kilometer 9,918
      Metro Santiago Passengers/Kilometer 16,320
      Metro Paris Passengers/Kilometer 16,564
      TransMilenio Bogotá Passengers/Kilometer 16,575

      Best,

      Oscar Edmundo Diaz
      diazoe@...
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 14, 2001
        Dear Friends,

        Greetings from Almaty, Kazakhstan! Although I'm
        currently engaged in work outside the realm of
        transportation, someone may wish to undertake a study
        of the metro here at some time in the future. The
        construction of the (as-yet inoperative) metro here
        was begun before the collapse of the Soviet Union and
        was frozen due to lack of funding. It seems that
        there is a renewed interest in completing the project,
        and hopefully the project will be completed in the
        not-so-distant future. In the meantime, the air
        quality in the city leaves much to be desired as the
        number of private vehicles skyrockets. Fortunately,
        the nearby Tian-Shan mountains have plenty of fresh
        air and provide a much-needed refuge for the city
        dwellers.

        Best wishes to all,
        Andy

        --- Eric Britton <eric.britton@...> wrote:
        > In speaking with Oscar Diaz today about the latest
        > TransMilenio ridership
        > results in Bogota, he mentioned that they are now
        > carrying on onto something
        > on the order of 600k people a day on 38 kms of
        > busway. Hmm.
        >
        > Now suppose they had instead decided two years back
        > to build a metro. Where
        > would they be today? How much would they have
        > spent? How many passengers
        > would they have already transported? What positive
        > impact on the env would
        > that choice have had on the city.
        >
        > Which brings up a suggested little project for
        > anyone who has the wit, time
        > and desire to give this a whack. Namely, the
        > construction of a "time line"
        > and a series of order of magnitude benchmarks which
        > would compare say their
        > TransMilenio project with a recently completed metro
        > in a Third World city.
        > Year by year comparisons of what happens and what
        > impacts are achieved. And
        > $ by $. This could be very trenchant and useful
        > indeed.

        =====
        Andrew Offenbacher
        Argonne National Laboratory
        Nonproliferation Graduate Program Representative
        Nuclear Technology Safety Center (Almaty, Kazakhstan)
        Office/Fax: 7(3272) 646803
        E-mail: aoffenbacher@...

        http://personals.yahoo.com