Re: [WorldTransport] TransMilenio/Metro comarisons/benchmarks

  • J.H. Crawford
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 14, 2001
      Good morning,

      One thing I would like to see in such an assessment would be
      the long-term externalized costs of both systems. I'd prefer
      not to lose sight of the fact that the externalized costs of
      a metro system are almost certainly going to be lower than for
      a metro. A densely-exploited metro system does not impose as
      large a noise, danger, and pollution burden as an on-street BRT
      system. In cases where you're moving upwards of 30,000 of riders
      per hour, you're in the realm in which a metro really starts
      to make sense, even if you can't afford it right now.

      Regards,

      J.H. Crawford

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 14, 2001
        I would like to share this numbers with you

        Metro Madrid Passengers/Kilometer 9,918
        Metro Santiago Passengers/Kilometer 16,320
        Metro Paris Passengers/Kilometer 16,564
        TransMilenio Bogotá Passengers/Kilometer 16,575

        Best,

        Oscar Edmundo Diaz
        diazoe@...
[...]

        The @New Mobility Forum is permanently at http://newmobility.org
        The Commons __ technology, economy, society__
        Day phone: +331 4326 1323 Mobile: +336 80 96 78 79
        24 hour Fax/Voicemail hotline: +331 5301 2896
        IP Videoconference: Ils.austin.polycom.com The Commons
        Email: ecoplan.adsl@... URL www.ecoplan.org

        The Journal of World Transport Policy & Practice
        For more information: http://ecoplan.org/wtpp

      • Andrew Offenbacher
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 14, 2001
          Dear Friends,

          Greetings from Almaty, Kazakhstan! Although I'm
          currently engaged in work outside the realm of
          transportation, someone may wish to undertake a study
          of the metro here at some time in the future. The
          construction of the (as-yet inoperative) metro here
          was begun before the collapse of the Soviet Union and
          was frozen due to lack of funding. It seems that
          there is a renewed interest in completing the project,
          and hopefully the project will be completed in the
          not-so-distant future. In the meantime, the air
          quality in the city leaves much to be desired as the
          number of private vehicles skyrockets. Fortunately,
          the nearby Tian-Shan mountains have plenty of fresh
          air and provide a much-needed refuge for the city
          dwellers.

          Best wishes to all,
          Andy

          --- Eric Britton <eric.britton@...> wrote:
          > In speaking with Oscar Diaz today about the latest
          > TransMilenio ridership
          > results in Bogota, he mentioned that they are now
          > carrying on onto something
          > on the order of 600k people a day on 38 kms of
          > busway. Hmm.
          >
          > Now suppose they had instead decided two years back
          > to build a metro. Where
          > would they be today? How much would they have
          > spent? How many passengers
          > would they have already transported? What positive
          > impact on the env would
          > that choice have had on the city.
          >
          > Which brings up a suggested little project for
          > anyone who has the wit, time
          > and desire to give this a whack. Namely, the
          > construction of a "time line"
          > and a series of order of magnitude benchmarks which
          > would compare say their
          > TransMilenio project with a recently completed metro
          > in a Third World city.
          > Year by year comparisons of what happens and what
          > impacts are achieved. And
          > $ by $. This could be very trenchant and useful
          > indeed.

          =====
          Andrew Offenbacher
          Argonne National Laboratory
          Nonproliferation Graduate Program Representative
          Nuclear Technology Safety Center (Almaty, Kazakhstan)
          Office/Fax: 7(3272) 646803
          E-mail: aoffenbacher@...

          http://personals.yahoo.com