Doors of Perception: October 2007 - Design steps to a one planet economy

  • john@doorsofperception.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2007
      On Behalf Of Doors Report

      Doors of Perception Report
      Design steps to a one planet economy
      October 2007
      By John Thackara

      BETTER LIVES WITH LESS STUFF - BY DESIGN
      I promised not to fill this newsletter with Dott announcements
      again - but forgive me if I remind you just once more that
      the Designs of the time (Dott 07) festival runs 16-28 October
      on the banks of the River Tyne.
      http://www.dott07.com/go/festival
      http://www.doorsofperception.com/

      THING LINKS AND REAL-TIME TRAVEL STATS
      A couple of late additions to the "wouldn't it be great if...." Dott 07
      debates. Andreas 'Zac' Zachariah will present his dazzling CarbonHero
      system at the Movement Dilemma debate on 18 October; it calculates the
      carbon emissions of all your journeys in real time and displays them on
      your mobile phone. Ulla Maria Mutanen will talk about micro marketing
      with ThingLink as part of the debate on food systems and cities on
      Monday 22 October. And we've added Carbon Detectives to the debate on
      sustainability, schools, and schooling on 23 October; the Carbon
      Detectives calculator enables 37,000 UK schools to measure their carbon
      footprints and compare results. Our debate will focus on how best to
      help schools make their footprints nine times smaller.
      http://www.dott07.com/go/dott-07-festival/dott-debates/

      TIPPING POINT PUBLISHING (1) "CRUDE AWAKENING"
      Surely the only reason the world financial system does not collapse,
      despite all those trillions of dollars of unsecured debt, is the
      psychology of mass denial. Could an accumulation of media events
      undermine global wishful thinking once and for all? After Al Gore's
      "An Inconvenient Truth" comes another scary-because-boring blockbuster:
      "Crude Awakening: The Oil Crash". This film tells the story of "how our
      civilization's addiction to oil puts it on a collision course with
      geology". A succession of oil experts in crumpled suits come to a
      startling, but logical conclusion: our industrial society, built on
      cheap and readily available oil, must be completely re-imagined and
      overhauled. Or....
      http://www.oilcrashmovie.com/film.html

      TIPPING POINT PUBLISHING (2) "A DEMON OF OUR OWN DESIGN"
      Why do markets keep crashing and why are financial crises greater than
      ever before? The author of another tipping point publication, this one
      a book has been the risk manager to some of the leading firms on Wall
      Street and has more recently been a designer of quant funds. In A Demon
      of Our Own Design Rick Bookstaber tells the story of man's attempt to
      manage market risk and what it has wrought. "Bookstaber has seen the
      ghost inside the machine and vividly shows us a world that is even
      riskier than we think. The very things done to make markets safer, have,
      in fact, created a world that is far more dangerous," says the blurb.
      http://rick.bookstaber.com/

      TIPPING POINT PUBLISHING (3) THE DOTT 07 MANUAL
      So there you have it, the ingredients for despair: Gore's drowning baby
      polar bears and grim warnings on climate change; Bookstaber predicting
      the collapse of the money system; and now Crude Awakening on the end of
      industrial society. But there are good news publications out there, too.
      For example, we've written a 100 page "manual" to accompany the Designs
      of the time (Dott 07) Festival. We call it a manual (rather than a book,
      or catalogue) because it's about practical ways for people either to
      join Dott projects themselves, or do something similar where they live.
      It's published on 16 October. For some reason it's not up on Amazon yet,
      but it soon will be (10 pounds / 15 euros / 20 dollars + postage) and in
      the meantime you can register your interest with:
      claire.capaldi@... (Please put "manual" in the header).

      BOTTLES HALF EMPTY AND BOTTLES HALF FULL
      We made this list of recommended books for the Dott festival bookshop:
      1 Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed - Jared Diamond
      2 Heat - George Monbiot
      3 An Inconvenient Truth - Al Gore
      4 A Demon of Our Own Design - Richard Bookstaber
      5 Six memos for the next millennium - Italo Calvino
      6 Relational Aesthetics - Nicolas Bourriaud
      7 Smart Mobs - Howard Rheingold
      8 Worldchanging - Alex Steffen
      9 Continuous Productive Urban Landscapes - Viljoen&Bohn
      10 In The Bubble - John Thackara
      11 A Geography of Time - Robert V. Levine
      12 Fire and Memory: On Architecture and Energy - Luis Fernandez-Galiano
      12 Powerdown - Richard Heinberg

      PLUS....

      SAO PAULO
      I'll be in Sao Paulo between 3-7 December and would love to meet or hear
      about anyone there with a Doors connection: john@...

      HOW TO BE A DESIGN STUDENT
      If you are one of the thousands of students starting design and
      architecture courses this month, Core77 has put together a fantastic set
      of tips, tricks, and life hacks for you. Hack2School is divided into
      five sections: Classroom, Dorm Room, Represent, Crash Course, and Cheat
      Sheet. There are guest essays from Ralph Caplan, Alissa Walker, Alice
      Twemlow, Steve Portigal, Jessica Helfand, Scott Klinker, Steven Heller,
      Sam Montague, and Jill Fehrenbacher.
      http://www.core77.com/hack2school