Re: [WorldTransport] TransMilenio/Metro comarisons/benchmarks

  • Elaine Fletcher
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 28, 2001
      I don't have the time or resources to undertake such a project right now,
      but for anyone who is interested, one possible comparison would be with the
      recently completed Cairo metro system. Since Cairo is so badly polluted with
      vehicle emissions, comparisons of emissions savings would also be very
      relevant.

      Elaine Fletcher
      Jerusalem

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 14, 2001
        Good morning,

        One thing I would like to see in such an assessment would be
        the long-term externalized costs of both systems. I'd prefer
        not to lose sight of the fact that the externalized costs of
        a metro system are almost certainly going to be lower than for
        a metro. A densely-exploited metro system does not impose as
        large a noise, danger, and pollution burden as an on-street BRT
        system. In cases where you're moving upwards of 30,000 of riders
        per hour, you're in the realm in which a metro really starts
        to make sense, even if you can't afford it right now.

        Regards,

        J.H. Crawford

        >In speaking with Oscar Diaz today about the latest TransMilenio ridership
        >results in Bogota, he mentioned that they are now carrying on onto
        something
        >on the order of 600k people a day on 38 kms of busway. Hmm.
        >
        >Now suppose they had instead decided two years back to build a metro.
        Where
        >would they be today? How much would they have spent? How many passengers
        >would they have already transported? What positive impact on the env would
        >that choice have had on the city.
        >
        >Which brings up a suggested little project for anyone who has the wit, time
        >and desire to give this a whack. Namely, the construction of a "time line"
        >and a series of order of magnitude benchmarks which would compare say their
        >TransMilenio project with a recently completed metro in a Third World city.
        >Year by year comparisons of what happens and what impacts are achieved.
        And
        >$ by $. This could be very trenchant and useful indeed.
        >
        >For more on the TM side, you can contact Oscar at diazoe@... or
        >(212) 629-80001.
        >
        >I am sure that we would all be very eager to see how this works out. And
        >grateful.
        >
        >With all good wishes,
        >Eric Britton

        -- ### --

        J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
        postmaster@... Carfree.com
      • Oscar Edmundo Diaz
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 14, 2001
          I would like to share this numbers with you

          Metro Madrid Passengers/Kilometer 9,918
          Metro Santiago Passengers/Kilometer 16,320
          Metro Paris Passengers/Kilometer 16,564
          TransMilenio Bogotá Passengers/Kilometer 16,575

          Best,

          Oscar Edmundo Diaz
          diazoe@...
[...]

        • Andrew Offenbacher
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 14, 2001
            Dear Friends,

            Greetings from Almaty, Kazakhstan! Although I'm
            currently engaged in work outside the realm of
            transportation, someone may wish to undertake a study
            of the metro here at some time in the future. The
            construction of the (as-yet inoperative) metro here
            was begun before the collapse of the Soviet Union and
            was frozen due to lack of funding. It seems that
            there is a renewed interest in completing the project,
            and hopefully the project will be completed in the
            not-so-distant future. In the meantime, the air
            quality in the city leaves much to be desired as the
            number of private vehicles skyrockets. Fortunately,
            the nearby Tian-Shan mountains have plenty of fresh
            air and provide a much-needed refuge for the city
            dwellers.

            Best wishes to all,
            Andy

            --- Eric Britton <eric.britton@...> wrote:
            > In speaking with Oscar Diaz today about the latest
            > TransMilenio ridership
            > results in Bogota, he mentioned that they are now
            > carrying on onto something
            > on the order of 600k people a day on 38 kms of
            > busway. Hmm.
            >
            > Now suppose they had instead decided two years back
            > to build a metro. Where
            > would they be today? How much would they have
            > spent? How many passengers
            > would they have already transported? What positive
            > impact on the env would
            > that choice have had on the city.
            >
            > Which brings up a suggested little project for
            > anyone who has the wit, time
            > and desire to give this a whack. Namely, the
            > construction of a "time line"
            > and a series of order of magnitude benchmarks which
            > would compare say their
            > TransMilenio project with a recently completed metro
            > in a Third World city.
            > Year by year comparisons of what happens and what
            > impacts are achieved. And
            > $ by $. This could be very trenchant and useful
            > indeed.

            =====
            Andrew Offenbacher
            Argonne National Laboratory
            Nonproliferation Graduate Program Representative
            Nuclear Technology Safety Center (Almaty, Kazakhstan)
            Office/Fax: 7(3272) 646803
            E-mail: aoffenbacher@...

            http://personals.yahoo.com