New Mobility mayors - Your candidates

  • Eric Britton (Fr)
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 17, 2007

      Dear Friends,

      I am hard at work updating and extending a keynote presentation I made last week at the opening congress for the Cities for Mobility Network – and as part of this I am popping in a handful of striking if small photographs of mayors around the world who are walking the talk. If you have wonderful exemplary candidates in mind that I might add this would be great. What we need is a nice clear photograph of the mayor doing her/his thing, their name and city, and if possible a couple of  lines of background and maybe a URL or two to help me understand that this person is a genuine article – and not just one more photo op hog who hops on a bicycle or bus to the office every blue moon and only when the media are present.

      Kind thanks.  It would be great if you would send it to me personally via eric.britton@... , and when I have the whole thing in decent shape I will share it with you all. (I attach a PDF of the first couple of pages of the presentation to give you a feel, I hope, for what I am up to here).

      Eric Britton

      PS. This next one may be a bit much, but here we go. Working with our own and all kinds of other sources, I have completed a “Monster list of new mobility measures and tools” which I reproduce for your information and eventual, I hope, rectification, comments, etc. It’s a bit list, and despite that still I am sure howlingly incomplete. There are so many ideas and concepts being developed out there in this big world. And sure (a) it’s only in English, (b) it’s stunningly cryptic (ambiguous, unclear, etc.) and (c) there are all kinds of area of potential redundancy. Let’s take for example the fact that we list here: road pricing, congestion charging, tolls, and maybe a couple of others as well. But when you scratch each of these you will see that there are not quite the same thing, so if we are to be comprehensive we should have a feeling for the differences.

      Again, comments to me at eric.britton@... and yes of course, you will all have access to the “final” version.

      247 things you may do well to know something about if you wish to reinvent transport in your city:

      1. 20/20 city strategies
      2. 30 kph zones
      3. 50 kph zones
      4. Active travel directions
      5. Activity nodes/clustering
      6. Alternating odd/even license plates
      7. Alternative engines
      8. Alternative fuels
      9. Award & prize programs
      10. Barriers to change
      11. Behavior Change
      12. Bicycle university (learning to cycle in cities)
      13. Bike and skate "masses"
      14. Bike and Walk Summits
      15. Bike delivery services
      16. Bike/transit interface
      17. Bus corridors and lanes
      18. Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)
      19. Car Clubs
      20. Car control strategies
      21. Car diet
      22. Car exit strategies
      23. Car Free Days
      24. Car pools
      25. Car Restricted Zones
      26. Carfree Cities
      27. Carfree housing
      28. Car-like mobility (implications)
      29. Car rental
      30. Carsharing
      31. Change Management
      32. Children's and school programs
      33. Citizen activism and dialogue
      34. City bikes
      35. City cars
      36. City cycle programs (shared use)
      37. Clean vehicles and fuels
      38. Clear Zones
      39. Co-housing
      40. Community Street Audit
      41. Community Transportation
      42. Commuting alternatives
      43. Company mobility management
      44. Congestion charging
      45. Contingency Planning
      46. Critical Mass
      47. CURBBBB
      48. Cycle paths and lanes
      49. Cycle parking
      50. Cycling access and support
      51. Delivering the goods
      52. Delivery hours
      53. Demand management
      54. Demand-responsive transport (DRT)
      55. Distance work
      56. Downtown revitalization support
      57. Driver license exit strategies
      58. Driver training
      59. Dynamic transit systems
      60. Economic instruments
      61. Electric or ecological vehicles (??)
      62. Employer transport programs
      63. Ethics vs. rules on the street
      64. EV charge stations
      65. e-Work
      66. Fair Transport labeling
      67. Flexible hours
      68. Flextime
      69. Free public cycles
      70. Free public transport
      71. Freight bicycle
      72. Freight transport
      73. Freight consolidation zones
      74. Funding sustainable transport
      75. Goods delivery innovation
      76. Goods movement and delivery
      77. Green maps
      78. Green modes
      79. Green streets
      80. Green wave
      81. Group taxis
      82. Handicapped transport
      83. Health and Fitness
      84. Hitch-hiking (Organized and other)
      85. Home delivery services
      86. Home zones
      87. HOV strategies
      88. Human powered transport
      89. Inclusive transport
      90. Innovations in Integrated Transport and Land-use Planning
      91. Intercept parking
      92. Integrated ticketing
      93. Intermodality
      94. International institutions (how to use)
      95. International peer support
      96. Jitneys
      97. Land use/New Mobility interfaces
      98. Land value tax
      99. Lane Diets
      100. Leading by Example
      101. Living streets
      103. Local Agenda 21
      104. Locational efficiency
      105. Lost/distressed children measures
      106. Low car diet
      107. Low-occupancy vehicle (LOV) strategies
      108. Low speed projects
      109. M2W controls
      110. Media, film, audio, webcasting
      111. Metros and New Mobility
      112. Minibus
      113. Mixed-use development
      114. Mobil telephony interface
      115. Mobility centers
      116. Mobility management/centers
      117. Mondermans
      118. Motorized two-wheelers
      119. Movement substitutes
      120. Multifunctional areas
      121. Multi-Modal Access Guides
      122. Neighborhood initiatives
      123. Neighborhood streets
      124. New Mobility "Star" program (NMA strategies for small towns)
      125. New Mobility strategies
      126. New Urbanism: Clustered, Mixed-Use, Multi-Modal Neighborhood Design
      127. Noise reduction measures
      128. Non-motorized transport
      129. Not going there (the options)
      130. Obesity strategies
      131. Obesity/Mobility Summit
      132. Odd/even entry schemes
      133. On-line skating
      134. Paid Parking
      135. Paratransit
      136. Park + Ride
      137. Parking management
      138. Parking strateies
      139. Pedestrian-friendly streets and roads
      140. Pedestrianization
      141. Pedicabs
      142. Pico y placa
      143. Play streets
      144. Pots and paint
      145. Private sector initiatives
      146. Propinquity (as policy)
      147. Public Awareness
      148. Public participation
      149. Public spaces projects
      150. Public transport should be free
      151. Public/private partnerships
      152. Rail transit (where it fits in)
      153. Real time travel information
      154. Reduce traffic controls/signals
      155. Residential parking
      156. Reverse commuting
      157. Rickshaws
      158. Ride-sharing
      159. Road diets (lane narrowing)
      160. Road pricing
      161. Road safety (radical enforcement)
      162. Scan, select, quantify, target
      163. Segregated cycle facilities
      164. Selling your message to the community
      165. Senior/Non-driver Local Summit
      166. Shared taxis
      167. Shared space
      168. Shared transport