SV: WorldTransport Forum "Reinventing transport in cities" - Candidate cities for future independent team case study analysis

  • martin.strid@vv.se
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 11, 2007

      "Question 4.   Cities in Eastern Europe: Where new models are desperately needed as they navigate their economic and social changes, almost always firmly locked into the old mobility models.."
      Untill 15 yaers ago, eastern europe (much of witch is in fact central europe) was a modelo of good public transport with dense bus, tram and train timetables, low ticket prices and many pasaĝeros. Evolution after the wallfall 1989 destrued much of this and multified the number of private cars. I saw this happen in Hungary, Poland and Ĉeĥoslovakia.
      They were locked in the old movbility, jes, but not the new old mobility (western style 1960-) but old old mobility (furst half of 20-eth century, before the car supremacy epoque). Maybe now they are locked in the new old mobiliyt.
      What happened was that, as we say in my languidge, "they throwed away the child with the bathwater", i.e. did not "savi la savindan".
      I think one track we should not miss is the one that says "dig were you stand" (idiom from environimental movement of 1970-s), or "refind the lost good parts in your lokal tradition". Not all new is good and not all old is bad. Impotant is 2 connect to what you alredy have, it will give you more self confidence.

      Amike salutas vin
      # :-)
      Martin