Re: WorldTransport Forum Dedication Mrs. Jane Jacobs: Activist, author, example

  • Chris Bradshaw
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1 8:18 AM
      From: Richard Layman

      > Gratz's _The Living City_ has a chapter or two on anti-freeway activism,
      > which discusses in depth JJ's activities in fighting freeways through
      > Greenwich Village.

      Gratz's 1998 book, with Norman Mintz, _Cities Back from the Edge_, includes
      a couple of interesting Jacobs' notations. She said Jabobs' fights with
      transportation engineers was made more difficult by the way they brought
      only pieces (or what she called 'nibblings') of the overall treansportation
      plan to decisionmakers, resulting in the gradual 'erosion' of the city's
      fabric (which I used to fashion my homily, "feet follow fabric").

      Gratz also suggests that Jacob's thinking is what made SoHo (south of
      Houston) possible.

      Chris Bradshaw