World's Most Congested Cities - Better, faster, cheaper

  • eric.britton@ecoplan.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2006
      "Is this a new mobility agenda or a new travel agenda? - Dave Holladay wrote on
      this date (See below)

      I have tried over the years to provide my clearest possible answers to this good
      challenge, to which I can answer in brief that the crux of the New Mobility
      Agenda includes the refocusing of transport policy and practice along much the
      lines that Dave has set out here.

      Recently I tried to put it all on a virtual "page", which if it interests you at
      all you can find at Http://www.newmobilityadvisory.org/tfl.htm. If you do make
      it over there the five minute video introduction and the "Philosophy" section
      might be worth a visit. In the latter in particular (in the whole thing in fact
      but your time and interest may not allow for that) I would be most grateful for
      your critical comments and suggestions. The whole thing is very much work in
      progress (after a couple of decades what else might be expected), so anything
      that you kick in, including challenges of course, will be very much welcome. In
      fact, at the end of the day this is really a collective statement with me just
      serving in this instance as a temporary mouthpiece But this stuff does need to
      be brought into the fore of the agenda. Don't you think?

      Kind thanks again for those good comments Dave,

      Eric Britton

      PS. What we call today the New Mobility Agenda has a fairly long "etymological"
      history. Back in the early seventies we first called it by a whole range of
      names with emphasis on words like alternatives, access, paratransit,
      Telecommunications Substitutes for Transportation, and a few others. By 1988, we
      were trying out for size "Cities without Cars?" (then in a quick next step we
      got rid of the question mark), followed by "Sustainable Transportation" (but it
      kept getting interpreted all around as a mainly critical even negative concept),
      then on to "ACCESS", from which in the mid nineties to STEP (Sustainable
      Transport Emergency Program), and only about a decade ago did we decide to hit
      the nail on the head and call it the New Mobility Agenda, with the emphasis on
      breaking the old mobility gridlocks with a clear eye to sustainable development
      and social justice. But without endlessly waiting for the promises of technology
      fixes and the rest to take care of the problems with the pokey nose of civil
      society and active and informed citizens. And so we are today. Warts and all.