Re: WorldTransport Forum World's Most Congested Cities - Better, faster, cheaper?

  • Richard Layman
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 27, 2006
      Sudhir makes a good point though, about the difference between providing transit to people without choices (transit-dependent)  vs. being attractive to people with mobility choices.

      When I talk about this in the DC region, I preface it by saying I am going to be politically incorrect, but many of the issues are really about how to make transit more appealing to people with choices, because transit-dependent people (and note, I am one of them) have to ride anyway.

      Being direct helps people think more clearly about the issues involved in mode shift.  (And mode shift, especially from single occupancy vehicle trips, is our #1 issue--other than funding.)

      Alas, I have never been to the countries you reference, but I imagine a great many of the people want cars both to declare very publicly their affluence, as well as to have access to what is more likely to be a very comfortable way to get around (excluding congestion issues) compared to threadbare public transit.

      I look at figures say for the Caracas subway -- 1.2 million passengers/day -- and it makes me embarrassed about DC -- 700,000 passengers/day -- and our system has 2.5 times the trackage.

      But I wonder how much of this base in Caracas rests upon transit-dependent riders?  And the fact that the DC regional subway system is designed to support polycentricity and decentralization--forces which make transit harder to provide, more expensive, and less efficient for a greater number of trips.

      That being said, I am a big proponent of better, faster, cheaper.

      Richard Layman
      Citizens Planning Coalition
      Washington, DC

      eric.britton@... wrote:
      Dear Sudhir and Sujit,

      "High cost underground metros"? Why not? Sounds great to me. Eh?

      But one small step first perhaps before spending all that money and necessarily
      waiting all those years before your 'deus ex machina' kicks in and is finally
      ready to do those good works. We refer to this necessary step in the planning
      and policy process as . . .

      BETTER, FASTER, CHEAPER!

      That's the modest challenge that needs to be put before the responsible policy
      maker and their advisors. In public and with public answers.

      So if we are able to get our hands on all that money and can start to spend it
      tomorrow, how much of the problem can we take care of . . . starting now. As
      opposed to waiting the inevitable twenty or whatever years that good metro is
      going to take.

      This is the vital question that under the New Mobility Agenda we feel needs to
      be asked each time. For starters you have to make that long list of the real
      needs, priority objectives and targets, and then as possible put quantities to
      them. Then you go to the tools, measures, policies side of the ledger and start
      to build your packages of measures with an eye to getting at the problems NOW!

      Now the responses that this approach provides are many and, when you get them
      right, hugely gratifying and effective. That is if you can bear in mind what
      the whole thing is indeed all about.

      Or is that just too simple for all those who are making these decisions, along
      with those who are urging them on? And perhaps, do they have something else in
      mind?

      It's my position that if such an exercise is not run with care and brilliance,
      and the right decisions are made in the full glare of the media and before the
      attentive eyes of civil society, then something is rotten in the state of
      Denmark (or wherever).

      I think that is along the lines that Sujit is suggesting, but let me leave it to
      him and to all of you on this.