Re: [sustran] World's Most Congested Cities - Better, faster, cheaper?

  • Lee Schipper
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 27, 2006
      I think metros are great..but these days they cost
      $400-1000 PER CENTIMETER!

      at that price, I'll take three.

      Lee Schipper
      Director of Research
      EMBARQ, the WRI Center
      for Sustainable Transport
      10 G St. NE
      Washington DC, 20002
      +1202 729 7735
      FAX +1202 7297775
      www.embarq.wri.org
      >>> eric.britton@... 12/27/06 4:37 AM >>>
      Dear Sudhir and Sujit,

      "High cost underground metros"? Why not? Sounds great to me. Eh?

      But one small step first perhaps before spending all that money and
      necessarily
      waiting all those years before your 'deus ex machina' kicks in and is
      finally
      ready to do those good works. We refer to this necessary step in the
      planning
      and policy process as . . .

      BETTER, FASTER, CHEAPER!

      That's the modest challenge that needs to be put before the responsible
      policy
      maker and their advisors. In public and with public answers.

      So if we are able to get our hands on all that money and can start to
      spend it
      tomorrow, how much of the problem can we take care of . . . starting
      now. As
      opposed to waiting the inevitable twenty or whatever years that good
      metro is
      going to take.

      This is the vital question that under the New Mobility Agenda we feel
      needs to
      be asked each time. For starters you have to make that long list of the
      real
      needs, priority objectives and targets, and then as possible put
      quantities to
      them. Then you go to the tools, measures, policies side of the ledger
      and start
      to build your packages of measures with an eye to getting at the
      problems NOW!

      Now the responses that this approach provides are many and, when you get
      them
      right, hugely gratifying and effective. That is if you can bear in mind
      what
      the whole thing is indeed all about.

      Or is that just too simple for all those who are making these decisions,
      along
      with those who are urging them on? And perhaps, do they have something
      else in
      mind?

      It's my position that if such an exercise is not run with care and
      brilliance,
      and the right decisions are made in the full glare of the media and
      before the
      attentive eyes of civil society, then something is rotten in the state
      of
      Denmark (or wherever).

      I think that is along the lines that Sujit is suggesting, but let me
      leave it to
      him and to all of you on this.

      From: sustran-discuss-bounces+eric.britton=ecoplan.org@...
      From: sustran-discuss-bounces+eric.britton=ecoplan.org@...