Mel Webber: part of the solution or part of the problem?

  • john adams
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 11, 2006
      Message

      Mel Webber: part of the solution or part of the problem?

      In 1963 in “Order in Diversity: community without propinquity” Mel Webber, in his best known essay, extolled the virtues of the urban freeway and the southern California way of life that it was shaping.

      He criticised its critics as people in the grip of “obsolete truths”. He envisaged a future society in which the old-fashioned notion of community as a physical place in which people of all ages and interests lived and knew each other, would be replaced by spatially dispersed “communities of interest”. People, freed by advances in transport and communications from their burdensome relationships with incompatible geographical neighbours, would live their lives in the almost exclusive company of members of their particular affinity group:

      “As the urban freeway systems that are now under construction are extended farther out and connected to one another, an unprecedented degree of freedom and flexibility will be open to the travellers for moving among widely separated establishments in conducting his affairs. A network of freeways, such as that planned for the Los Angeles area, will make many points highly accessible … and the positive advantages of automobiles over transit systems … make it inconceivable that they will be abandoned for a great part of intrametropolitan travel or that the expansion of the freeway systems on which they depend will taper off. We would do well, then, to accept the private vehicles as an indispensable medium of metropolitan interaction – more, as an important instrument of personal freedom.”

      John Adams

      Prof. John Adams

      blog: www.john-adams.co.uk

      email: John.Adams@...