Jan Gehl, Greenwheels named as finalists for this year's World Technology Awards for Environment

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 16, 2006

      Dear Friends,

      This is to share with you the good news that both Jan Gehl and the Greenwheels team have been named as finalists in this year’s World Technology Award for Environment, for which the formal award ceremony is to take place in San Francisco on 2-3 Novemenber. You can see all about it at

      http://wtn.net/2006/summit/shortlisted.html.

      Jan Gehl has also been named a Fellow of the World Technology Network, while Greenwheels has been named a WTN Corporate member. This last is I think a tribute that is to be born in mind by those of us who care about the New Mobility Agenda and better and softer (and cheaper) ways of getting around in our daily lives, indicating as it does that Greenwheels and with it the carsharing movement more generally are now seen by many as socially and environmentally useful services which nonetheless need to be organized and run on sound business principles. That is not the only way to make carsharing work as we are seeing at World Carshare, but it is certainly one of the models which are fast reshaping the industry, and with it carsharing contributions to sustainable mobility and sustainable cities and lives.

      And to give you an idea of the company that Jan now enters as a Fellow, here is a selection of the close to one thousand world innovators who have been named to this honor: Manuell Castells, Anil Gupta, Jaime Lerner, Hans Monderman, Tim Berners-Lee, Amory Lovins, Ezio Manzin, Achim Steiner, Martin Wachs, Robert Ayres, Sushmita Ghosh, Michael Walsh, Priyadarshini Karve, Ken Livingstone, Bill Gates, Steven Case, Jerry Yang, Muhammad Yunus, Richard Dawkins. Among others.

      Once again, I am pleased to express my personal thanks to all of you who have got behind our nominations for this year’s awards, and I am sure that this recognition will not only be useful for them in their work but also for all of us who are concerned with sustainable mobility, sustainable cities and sustainable lives. What more could we ask for?

      Eric Britton

    • Joseph S. Szyliowicz
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 19, 2006

         Dear Colleagues:

        Since you and your colleagues are working on intermodal issues and have carried out various research projects related to intermodalism, I am writing you in order to bring an exciting new journal to your attention --- The World Review of Intermodal Research (WRITR).   WRITR is a scholarly, peer reviewed journal, the first issue of which has just appeared.  You can find out more about WRITR by consulting its web site:

        We would, of course, welcome relevant manuscripts from you and your colleagues for possible publication.  We are planning to devote an issue to the state of US intermodalism and are, at this time, particularly interested in a few additional potential contributions to this issue.

        Please feel free to disseminate this information as widely as possible to anyone in the US and abroad who is working on intermodal transportation.

        If you have any questions or desire any additional information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

        Joseph S. Szyliowicz

        North American Editor, WRITR

        Professor

        Graduate School of International Studies

        University of Denver

        Ph:   303-871-2992

        Fax: 303-871-2456