Re: [sustran] Jan Gehl, Greenwheels named as finalists for this year'sWorld Technology Awards for Environment

  • Sujit Patwardhan
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 16, 2006

      Eric,
      This is great news. I'm very happy as I can't think of anyone more deserving than Jan Gehl for this honour.
      --
      Sujit

      On 10/16/06, Eric Britton <eric.britton@...> wrote:

      Dear Friends,

      This is to share with you the good news that both Jan Gehl and the Greenwheels team have been named as finalists in this year's World Technology Award for Environment, for which the formal award ceremony is to take place in San Francisco on 2-3 Novemenber. You can see all about it at

      http://wtn.net/2006/summit/shortlisted.html.

      Jan Gehl has also been named a Fellow of the World Technology Network, while Greenwheels has been named a WTN Corporate member. This last is I think a tribute that is to be born in mind by those of us who care about the New Mobility Agenda and better and softer (and cheaper) ways of getting around in our daily lives, indicating as it does that Greenwheels and with it the carsharing movement more generally are now seen by many as socially and environmentally useful services which nonetheless need to be organized and run on sound business principles. That is not the only way to make carsharing work as we are seeing at World Carshare, but it is certainly one of the models which are fast reshaping the industry, and with it carsharing contributions to sustainable mobility and sustainable cities and lives.

      And to give you an idea of the company that Jan now enters as a Fellow, here is a selection of the close to one thousand world innovators who have been named to this honor: Manuell Castells, Anil Gupta, Jaime Lerner, Hans Monderman, Tim Berners-Lee, Amory Lovins, Ezio Manzin, Achim Steiner, Martin Wachs, Robert Ayres, Sushmita Ghosh, Michael Walsh, Priyadarshini Karve, Ken Livingstone, Bill Gates, Steven Case, Jerry Yang, Muhammad Yunus, Richard Dawkins. Among others.

      Once again, I am pleased to express my personal thanks to all of you who have got behind our nominations for this year's awards, and I am sure that this recognition will not only be useful for them in their work but also for all of us who are concerned with sustainable mobility, sustainable cities and sustainable lives. What more could we ask for?

      IMPORTANT NOTE to everyone who gets sustran-discuss messages via YAHOOGROUPS.

      Please go to http://list.jca.apc.org/manage/listinfo/sustran-discuss to join the real sustran-discuss and get full membership rights. The yahoogroups version is only a mirror and 'members' there cannot post to the real sustran-discuss (even if the yahoogroups site makes it seem like you can). Apologies for the confusing arrangement.

      SUSTRAN-DISCUSS is a forum devoted to discussion of people-centred, equitable and sustainable transport with a focus on developing countries (the 'Global South').

      Sujit Patwardhan
      sujit@...
      sujitjp@...

      "Yamuna",