"The Future Intelligent Transport Systems initiative" - one more short-sighted interest-fed government-industry boondoggle

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 13, 2006

      This kind offer came in from Andrew Curry in the World Transport Forum immediately after I posted my rather critical but no altogether negative note of 10 October, and I think his proposal might be a useful thing indeed. In fact, Andrew, I want not only to express my appreciation of your willingness to poke into this project with us, but also I would note the quite exceptional nature of your offer. It has been my sad experience over the years that once something like this has been splashed onto the screen or laid in concrete, those behind it either flee or wall themselves up and simply cannot be engaged.

      So kind thanks, and may I suggest that we carry out these exchanges in the New Mobility Idea Factory, for which the posting address is NewMobilityCafe@yahoogroups.com. The best way to access it is via the top menu of the Agenda which sits waiting for us at http://www.newmobility.org.

      I had in fact not responded immediately since I was eager to see what kind of reactions that all this might bring, and am happy to see that there have been a few of our colleagues jumping in. I am eager to give this a full and fair go because I think it is one of those kinds of issues (long term vs. short term) which lurk at the heart of our current disarray before the challenges of the mobility sector in all its many parts. And also because I am sure that the additional information that you are going to put before us will be both challenging and food for thought. Something deeper and better should come out of it.

      So off we go. I await with great interest your first comments, and in the meantime I will hike over to www.foresight.gov.uk and educate myself.  (It’s about time!)

      Eric Britton

      PS. Just in case it is not quite clear (surely the case for most of us), the attached note has been prepared to provide a quick overview of how the various discussion fora under the New Mobility Agenda are organized. We try hard to keep good order in all this, but do not always succeed. (As surely you have noticed from time to time.)