A word on Randall O'Toole expert

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 8 3:41 AM

      I personally love this guy (please don’t stop reading yet!).

      o              First because he gives us in one convenient place the entire litany of reasons, logic and tone which are indeed true enemies of our cities and environment. I find him handy for that.  A rogues’ gallery of unreason and irresponsibility.  It’s nice to know where to go.

      o              Shoddy as he is, and others of that same cloth, I nonetheless try to check him out from time to time run down his points one by one and make sure that my own logic and work is O’Toole-proof.

      o              Moreover, there is inevitably a bit of truth in some of the points he makes, and these pose good tests of our own ability to deal with the inevitable contradictions that the real world sets for us.

      o              And because he is so very bad – even if superficially attractive to a certain train of thought and legitimate citizen concern – that it’s not very hard to deliver a knock out punch. The important thing is not to get excited, keep grinning, and take him on point by point. It also helps in cases like this to keep giving him plenty of rope; he will inventively put it to the use it’s best for.

      o              And finally, because if we can’t deal with the O’Toole’s of this world, then we are in real trouble.

      I will copy this to the Idea Factory of the New Mobility Agenda (http://www.newmobility.org) and we will see what kind of reaction it will get there. I invite you to pop into the forum which is open to any and everyone to see what kind of further response this may get

      With all good wishes

      Eric Britton

      New Mobility Advisory/Briefs. Don’t know about them yet?

      Maybe you should have a look at http://newmobilitybriefs.org

      Accelerated Learning for partners & decision-makers in cities

      The New Mobility Agenda: on line at http://www.newmobility.org

      Le Frene, 8/10 rue Joseph Bara                   75006 Paris, France

      Tel:  +331 4326 1323      +338 7044 0343      Skype: newmobility

      E: contact@...              Backup: fekbritton@...

      Technology. Economy. Society.

      Francis Eric Knight Britton
      Innovation consultancy/advisory