Re: WorldTransport Forum 'Naked streets' and safe chaos

  • Tramsol@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2006
      The recent Project for Public Spaces newsletter features ' In Praise of Zealous Nuts' who go about restoring social and local transport links destroyed by unsuitable external transport projects, including a glorious piece about David Engwicht and his portable throne - to introduce uncertainty and surprise as a means to change driver behaviour.  His encouragement to hold street parties but not actually bother to stop the traffic gave me something to smile at.  Now where's my sofa?...

      So far today I've heard comments on on UK motor insurer supporting the call for 40mph speed limits on rural roads (e-mail thread on www.bbc.co.uk/farmingtoday) and another pioneering the UK's first discount scheme linked to black box recorders - for young drivers who don't drive at night (high risk period for young drivers) they offer a discount based on records from black box.  Soon we may see this for all drivers?

      A sad reaction though to the sentence handed out to the driver who killed 4 cyclists in North Wales in January when his car - which had 3 defective tyres left road, hitting a group out riding - fined £180.  BBC Radio 2 has been taking e-mails.on the topic - Victoria@...

      Dave Holladay
      Glasgow