Re: ENERGY FUTURES

  • zvileve
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2006
      Obviously this is a highly complex subject, but the title of the
      original message brought to mind the rather old book "Energy Future:
      Report of the Energy Project At the Harvard Business School" by Daniel
      Yergin, now of Cambridge Energy Research Associates
      http://www.cera.com/about/.

      There is a rather direct link between "level of development" and
      energy consumption, so this issue is going to become relevant for more
      and more countries in the future (assuming that "development" does not
      cease). The larger issue is how can we "break" this linkage between
      development and energy consumption? If we cannot do this, well I
      personally don't think that alternative energy sources and fuels are
      going to solve that one!

      Best regards,

      Zvi

      ps. You might want to also pose this question to the Energy &
      Resources discussion forum on YahooGroups - but expect *lots* of

      --- In WorldTransport@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Britton"
      <eric.britton@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone have some ideas or counsel for Andrew?

    • On Behalf Of Paul Barter
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2006
        This is a follow-up to an old sustran-discuss thread that began in April
        (as [sustran] FW: Traffic in India) when I posted a link to a video of a
        chaotic looking Indian intersection. It provoked debate on the merits of
        traffic discipline versus chaos and later moved on to some other related
        issues. All of this resonates with debates about shared space or naked
        streets approaches to streets and the public realm.

        Then I noticed the proliferation of what you might call 'traffic
        exotica' video clips on the GlobalSouth Mobility group at YouTube -
        http://www.youtube.com/group/globalsouth. This got me
        thinking about this issue again - and if or how shared space idea might
        apply to lower income cities.

        So I decided to blog about it - with more questions than answers I must
        admit. See
        http://urbantransportasia.blogspot.com/2006/08/naked-streets-and-safe-ch
        aos.html

        The entry is called: 'Naked streets' and safe chaos

        And it begins:
        "I recommend taking a look at YouTube's GlobalSouth group which has more
        than 60 short videos now on transport in developing countries. A
        striking number of the videos are simply footage of streets or
        intersections in countries like India, China or Vietnam. Most of them
        show traffic that at first glance looks completely and utterly CRAZY,
        often with a mind-boggling diversity of road users doing anything and
        everything you could imagine."

        Feedback welcome. I am sure some of you may know a lot more about this
        than I do.

        Paul