Re: WorldTransport Forum converting a curb parking spot to a park

  • Chris Bradshaw
    Message 1 of 1 , May 27, 2006
      Sunny,

      > Chris, it would be great if you could provide more information on the
      > Byward Market conversion thing, I have done a research in a similar
      > issue, pedestrianising a street in Bangkok, and I found that the
      > retailers were more positive after conversion and the sales volumes even
      > increased. But there was also a program in BKK of closing a street for
      > traffic on the weekends and as far as I know it was not a success.

      The Byward Market example was not any sustained effort, but only a couple
      afternoons, two years running. The activists just showed up without
      warning.

      If there was a permanent or short-term (e.g., several months) closure, it
      would probably be planned with the merchants, and there would be a chance to
      present them with examples of other such conversions, so they could
      understand how it would impact them.

      The Byward Market merchants have their own BIA (business improvement area)
      and that would provide the City a chance to take it nice and easy.

      What is the latest published research on how such closures and
      pedestrianization conversions have fared in terms of retail business?

      Chris Bradshaw
      Ottawa