Re: WorldTransport Forum Parking strategies

  • Wetzel Dave
    Message 1 of 3 , May 24, 2006
      Re: WorldTransport Forum Parking strategies

      CHEERS Eric,

      Best Wishes,
      Dave

      Dave Wetzel
      Vice-Chair TfL
      Tel: 020 7126 4200
      --------------------------

      Message 2 of 3 , May 25, 2006
        The idea of temporarily converting a curb parking spot to a park was tried
        in Ottawa by our Car-Free Ottawa group in the early 1990s. We did it in the
        Byward Market in the Lower Town area, and the result was anger by nearby
        merchants that they were losing customers by converting a parking spot for
        cars to a spot for parking our various "human-powered vehicles." There was
        also a visit by a parking control officer threatening to issue a ticket (to
        what vehicle owner?) for not using it for its intended purpose.

        Frankly, I am more comfortable with converting parking spaces than
        converting through lanes, or closing off a street completely.

        Last year, I lead the effort in our neighbourhood for car-free day that
        targeted neither the through lanes nor street parking spaces. Instead, we
        cordoned off -- with the City's O.K. --the portion of the parking lane that
        was closest to the corners, the 9-metre section that is not marked for
        meters, and is used for short stops be delivery vehicles and taxis. Those
        sections I have proposed for "bulb-outs," curb extensions that reduce the
        crossing width for pedestrians and provide sidewalk bulges for benches,
        newsboxes, and for people to wait to cross without blocking the through
        section.

        We converted the 10 or so spaces along our main street (Bank Street) for
        public activities, such as booths, musicians performing, and a couple
        artists. It was well received, although plans for this year have not
        started.

        It was possible only by moving the day to a Saturday, when the curb lanes
        are not converted to through rush-hour traffic, since such activities would
        have taken away the entire lane.

        Chris Bradshaw
        Ottawa
      • Sunny
        Message 3 of 3 , May 27, 2006
          Chris, it would be great if you could provide more information on the
          Byward Market conversion thing, I have done a research in a similar
          issue, pedestrianising a street in Bangkok, and I found that the
          retailers were more positive after conversion and the sales volumes even
          increased. But there was also a program in BKK of closing a street for
          traffic on the weekends and as far as I know it was not a success.

          Sunny