[wtpp] Newsletter on Car Free Day developments in Europe

  • eric.britton@ecoplan.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 19, 2000
      A very useful Newsletter on Car Free Day developments in Europe has just
      been posted by Richard Evans of the ETA Car Free Day group. It is available
      directly on this site, if you first click the UK Car Free Day link on the
      menu (toward the bottom), and from thence to #31, Newsletter No. 11.

      One of the primary goals of our @World Car Free Day site from the outset has
      been to use the technologies at our disposal to be sure that information and
      materials on our important subject are not unnecessarily isolated. There is
      a basic philosophical and we think highly practical reason for doing this.
      Having watched many important and quite possible sustainable transportation
      innovations be held up by a combination of indifference, narrow thinking,
      bureaucracy and power brokerage over the last three decades, it has been one
      our driving goals not only in this program but all of our Access on the Web
      sites to do whatever we can do to break out of these binding but entirely
      unnecessary traps.

      Hence we both make a major and continuing effort to link and network with
      ALL the programs, sites and groups anywhere in the world that are trying to
      advance or fill out the Car Free Day agenda, irrespective of geographic
      focus, language or approach to the issues (even though we do have our own
      rather firm ideas on the subject). The UK/ETA program is just one example
      among many.

      One of the linking devices that we are using is the Search function which
      you will see at the base of the menu on the site. It captures the content of
      more than a dozen of the most active related programs, world wide. Given it
      a try with a couple of sample words or phrases (and if you need a few clues
      as to how to get full use out of it, just click the Search/Research link at
      the top of the menu for useful pointers.) And if you can think of any other
      important sources of information on our topic which we are thus far missing
      out, let us know and we'll try to do better.

      And as I look at the Bogotá section of the site just as I sign off here, I
      note that there are exactly 4 days, 20 hours, and 32 minutes left before the
      world's biggest, boldest, baddest Car Free Day project to date closes off
      the streets to private cars and seven million people take their first breath
      of a new life.

      Light a candle for Bogotá.

      Eric Britton

      ecopl@n ___ technology, economy, society ___
      Eric.Britton@... URL www.ecoplan.org
      Voice/Videoconference +331.4441.6340 (1-4)
      Voicemail/Fax hotline: Europe +331 5301 2896
      Voicemail/Fax hotline: North America +1 888 522 6419 (toll free)