2006 World Technology Environment Awards - Join us in seconding nominations of Jan Gehl and Greenwheels

  • Eric.Britton
    Message 1 of 1 , May 21, 2006

      Dear Friends,

      This year, after a number of emails and calls to discuss many great ideas, we are finally nominating two outstanding innovators for the 2006 World Technology Environment Awards, one an individual pioneer and one group showing the way.  Our group nominees this year are the redoubtable Danish creator of public spaces stolen for the most part from traffic Jan Gehl and the Greenwheels carsharing organization in the Netherlands (the fastest growing such group in the world).

      This is as many of you will recall a group effort each year, thus you are as always invited cordially to anticipate and make sure that our nominees receive the international recognition that they so richly deserve. The path to do this is short and simple: all you have to do is click to the New Mobility Agenda at www.newmobility.org and from there click 2006 Awards on the top menu. At that point you will see the first draft of our nominations, together with everything you need to quickly join us with your comments and seconding in this fine group effort.

      I would remind you that we have a 100% hit ratio for our nominations over the last three years, the reason being not only the exceptional contributions of people and teams like: Hans Monderman for his reducing one technology (the motor car) to its rightful (i.e., far more modest) place in residential streets; and the Seoul “Restoration Technology” car control project in their city;  in 2004 Ken Livingstone for leading Congestion Charging project  in London, and the Stockholm Partnerships for Sustainable Cities program; and back in 2003 a trio of outstanding carsharing project each trying to push the envelope in terms of the emerging city/car agenda: Caisse Commune in Paris, City Car Club in Helsinki, and Statoil Bilpool in Stockholm – but also the way that we have got behind them to make sure that the judges and many others as well understand the importance of their contributions.

      Last year we have more than fifty of our international colleagues join us in the nominations, and this year we hope to do at least as well. It is important to get the message out, and to do it right requires that we all join in.

      In the struggle for sustainable development and social justice we need to go for every chance we run across. Only in that way will we make the progress that is so badly needed.

      My sincere thanks for joining us to support Jan and the Greenwheels teams.

      With all good wishes

      Eric Britton

      The New Mobility Agenda is on line at http://www.newmobility.org

      Le Frene, 8/10 rue Joseph Bara                     75006 Paris, France

      Tel:  +331 4326 1323  M. +336  7321 5868         Skype: ericbritton

      E: eric.britton@...                   Backup: fekbritton@...

      EcoPlan International                Innovation consultancy/advisory

      New Ways to Work in an Information Society: http://www.xWork.org

      9440 Readcrest Drive                              Beverly Hills, CA  90210

      T. +1 310 601-8468   E: eric.britton@...  Skype: xWork-on-line