RE: WorldTransport Forum (For comment) Fair Transport: A New Mobility Agenda for a Changing World

  • Medio Ambiente CC.OO. Canarias
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2006

      Thanks por your e-mail.

      I write you from Canary Islands .

      Respect to your consideration about a new expression to name the model of transport we wish, I´d like to add a new idea: “possible transport”. I say it because the peak oil.

      I´ve been following your discussion around a new model of transport, and I think is urgent for you to integrate the concept of “peak oil” in your discursses. If not, the considerations about future model of transport will be unsuccessful.

      There´re a lot of informations in the web about the consequences for the transport of the peak oil. Please, take account about it.

      Thanks, and excuses for my english.

      Juan Jesús Bermúdez

      Message 2 of 3 , May 3, 2006

        Dear Eric,

        Thank you for your interesting and provocative proposal. Some comments…

        First I’m not sure why a new term is needed. ‘Sustainable’ is a word in increasing use and the subject of heated public debate. ‘Fair’ I presume is intended to bring concepts such as social equity and social inclusion into the frame, but I had always thought these were covered anyway by Sustainable Transport.

        The emphasis I suggest, should remain on sustainability as this provides the 'test' against which transport options should be measured. And to bring these other ideas to the fore seems to me to diffuse the focus.

        So maybe we need to be clearer about what ST actually means. I seem to remember a debate on this forum a while ago, but am not sure anything final came out of that. In any case that could be revisited, in order to flesh out your point no: 7.

        Secondly, about point No: 2. Surely the ST ‘test’ would mean that all forms of mobility would not be treated equally. There would be a bias in favour of the most ‘sustainable’ ie those with lowest life-cycle Co2 emissions, least polluting, most equitable, most cost effective (in that order I suggest). This would then effectively cover points no: 4 & 5.

        I very much welcome this debate at this time. There needs to be much greater clarity about these concepts.

        I hope this helps,

        Romney Tansley