Traffic in India - short video

  • Robert Moore
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2006

      In Sydney, Australia, a main street, William St, leading into the CBD is
      being rebuilt. At one stage during construction the street was left
      without any lanes or centre lines marked for a few days - a bit
      confusing at first sight. It was noticed that the traffic flow seemed
      to improve and motorists were less impatient and agressive, as they had
      to slow down and negotiate their way through. A letter writer to the
      papers said this was a bit like some experiments in European cities,
      obviously having heard of Hans Monderman. Other writers wrote fervently
      hoping such a radical and dangerous idea got no further, obviously
      preferring the current highly channelled road system that prevails in
      Australia, where urban speed limits are apparently amongst the highest
      anywhere. Moves to reduce the CBD limit from 50 to 40 km/h have been
      strongly resisted. Many substandard urban roads have a 60 km/h limit,
      discouraging walking and cycling and light rail for that matter.

      Bob Moore
      Sydney