Fwd: WorldTransport Forum Congestion Pricing System Trial ReducesStockholm Traffic 25 percent in One Month

  • Sujit Patwardhan
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 24, 2006
      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: Sujit Patwardhan <sujitjp@...>
      Date: Mar 25, 2006 1:22 AM
      Subject: Re: WorldTransport Forum Congestion Pricing System Trial ReducesStockholm Traffic 25 percent in One Month
      To: WorldTransport@yahoogroups.com
      Cc: eric.britton@...

      Dave,
      Are these details (reduction in pollution, increase in bus and cycle ridership etc. as a result of the Mayor's Transport Strategy) available on your site? It would be useful to know these details to strengthen our arguments during advocacy for improved Public Transport in our city  -- Pune. We often tell our decision makers to look at Singapore, London, Curitiba and Bogota and learn some lessons from their achievements.
      With all good wishes,
      --
      Sujit

      Sujit Patwardhan
      Parisar/PTTF

      On 3/24/06, Wetzel Dave < davewetzel@...> wrote:

      Congestion charging in London is not just about cars travelling more freely. We have reduced crashes, reduced pollution, given more time at traffic signals for pedestrians, more cycle lanes and cycle stop lines pauinted green in front of vehicle stop lines, pedestrianised a part of Trafalgar Square, more bus lanes and other bus priorities and spent the £100m surplus revenue on improving bus services.

      Not just because of congestion charging but as a result of us implementing the Mayor's Transport Strategy over the past 5 years in London overall we've seen a 40% increase in bus use (now 6.5m bus journeys a day), a doubling of cycling on our Transport for London Red Routes and a 4% modal shift from car to bus.
      Best Wishes,
      Dave

      Dave Wetzel
      Vice-Chair TfL