Re: WorldTransport Forum Congestion Pricing System Trial Reduces Stockholm Traffic 25 percent in One Month

  • Wetzel Dave
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 24 1:14 AM
      Re: WorldTransport Forum Congestion Pricing System Trial Reduces Stockholm Traffic 25 percent in One Month

      Congestion charging in London is not just about cars travelling more freely. We have reduced crashes, reduced pollution, given more time at traffic signals for pedestrians, more cycle lanes and cycle stop lines pauinted green in front of vehicle stop lines, pedestrianised a part of Trafalgar Square, more bus lanes and other bus priorities and spent the £100m surplus revenue on improving bus services.

      Not just because of congestion charging but as a result of us implementing the Mayor's Transport Strategy over the past 5 years in London overall we've seen a 40% increase in bus use (now 6.5m bus journeys a day), a doubling of cycling on our Transport for London Red Routes and a 4% modal shift from car to bus.
      Best Wishes,
      Dave

      Dave Wetzel
      Vice-Chair TfL
      Tel: 020 7126 4200
      --------------------------

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 30 11:23 AM
        Wetzel Dave wrote:
        Congestion charging in London is not just about cars travelling more freely. We have reduced crashes, reduced pollution, given more time at traffic signals for pedestrians, more cycle lanes and cycle stop lines pauinted green in front of vehicle stop lines, pedestrianised a part of Trafalgar Square, more bus lanes and other bus priorities and spent the £100m surplus revenue on improving bus services.

        I know it is supposed that congestion charge in London was beneficial also for pedestrians and cyclists, but I have the feeling that cars took the lion's share. The scheme zone in London is 22km2 and congestion in the zone during charging hours has been reduced by 30 per cent. If 10% (or maybe more?) is a realistic estimation for the percentage roads occupy in London, that means that 22 x 10% x 30% = 0,66km2 = 660.000 sq.m have been freed from car use. How much surface occupy the additional pedestrianised space around Trafalgar Square and the additional cycle lanes inside the scheme zone (those of them created from previously road space)? And how many people (inside the scheme zone) travel on foot, by bus or cycling, and how many still move on automobiles?

        Accident reduction is not the result of the scheme per se, but the result of the lower car use - and indicates indeed the only real way to cut down road accidents: i.e. to cut down car (and motorcycle) use!

        Not just because of congestion charging but as a result of us implementing the Mayor's Transport Strategy over the past 5 years in London overall we've seen a 40% increase in bus use (now 6.5m bus journeys a day), a doubling of cycling on our Transport for London Red Routes and a 4% modal shift from car to bus.

        The mayor should be praised for the better public transport measures, but these could also have been implemented without the congestion charge scheme. However it should be noted that better buses are not beneficial only for pedestrians, but also for car users, because they move traffic out of the road, creating this way better road conditions for the remaining car traffic. And an increase in bus capacity is an integral part of the scheme, in order to move the (second class?) citizens who are conscious enough to not use cars, or not able to afford the road charge.

        And now, just to come to the point: what is the (current and perspective, after the congestion charge scheme) modal split in Stockholm? How much space is estimated to be the liberated from car traffic, and how do the project initiators intend to use it - to facilitate motorised traffic, or for the benefit of pedestrians and cyclists?

        Best Wishes,
        Dave

        Dave Wetzel
        Vice-Chair TfL