A little order in our sprawling virtual world of old and new mobility ideas and communications

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 20, 2006

      Just in case you have not noticed, we live in a world of egregious information overload. How to manage and still have access to the positive fruits of these valuable tools of information access and sharing is a bit of a challenge to us all?

      We face this hugely in our New Mobility Agenda work, given the manner in which we try to span and stay abreast of not only developments and events in the (a) full range of transport modes and in (b) the directly related fields involved (bearing in mind that at least half of the answers to the problems that are first identified as accruing to our unsustainable transportation arrangements have in fact their solutions or at least their mitigation in areas which are well outside of the usual transport policy focus), but also (c) the fact that we feel that the only way to go about all this is from a world perspective. Hmm.

      Sustran-Discuss: Let me start with a current example of an information  source that is closely related to our New Mobility Agenda, and which some of you at least should at the very least occasionally check out and others probably to subscribe directly to receive their bulletins and notices -- Sustran-Discuss, a first class forum and information source devoted to discussion of people-centred, equitable and sustainable transport with a focus on developing countries. Here is how we try to integrate this flow of materials and intelligent into the New Mobility Agenda and this Café, with a minimum of needless duplication.

      If you go to http://www.newmobility.org and click Talking New Mobility of the top menu, you will be taken to a page with that title which identifies several dozen relation fora and discussion groups which at the very least you should be aware of – and some of which you may do well to participate in and check our regularly. Sustran is one good example -- but as you will see if you take a bit of time with this page far from the only one.

      Now since we are aware that not all of you have yet to sort your way through this wwwj – world wide jungle – we nonetheless from time to time copy to this fine Café and Idea Factory some of the ongoing discussions from Sustran and yet others. But more generally we hope that you will take their measure and then make your own arrangements.

      Page in process: Finally, you note that the Talking NewMob page is still far from complete, so if you have a discussion group, forum or Listserve fro us that relates to our mission, please let us hear from you and we can do the necessary.

      What would be the PS for this note? Might it be that sustainable transportation is not for the lazy?  ;-)

      .