Re: WorldTransport Forum Congestion Pricing System Trial ReducesStockholm Traffic 25 percent in One

  • Lee Schipper
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2006
      Stockholm has the advantage-so to speak - of being mainly islands with
      only a few entrances and exits. If you want to come in you pay -- there
      are no realistic alternatives.
      IF you want to bypass, that may be ok, and something that was desired a
      long time ago -- because Stockholm straddles the main NS highway for
      Sweden as well as the route taken by
      lorry and car traffic from Finland to the Continent.
      Stockholm has relatively good cycle and pedestrian facilities and many
      bus-only lanes, albeit no real BRT..

      >>> sksunny@... 3/7/2006 10:46:08 AM >>>
      Dear All,

      It is a very interesting phenomenon in Stockholm. It would also be nice

      to know about what happened to the traffic. Did the transit ridership
      increase or has the traffic shifted to other streets in most of the
      cases the transit ridership increases and so does the modal split. It
      would be nice if Stockholm incorporates encouragement of non-motorists

      along with the pricing. This can be done in the same areas of pricing.

      Personally, I expect the project will win the peoples votes and become
      success. On the other hand, though the project concerns only the people

      of Stockholm, the success of this project can be a case study for
      several developing cities around the world.

      Sunny

      -----
      Santhosh Kumar K
      Master Student,
      Faculty of Environment and Resource Studies,
      Mahidol University,
      Thailand
      sksunny@...
      sunnysanthosh@...

      http://www.public-cio.com/newsStory.php?id=2006.03.06-98651

> [...]

      > leaving the charging zone are charged based on time of day, with
      fares
      > highest during peak rush hours, and up to a maximum charge per day.
      >
      > Developed in collaboration with IBM Research and implemented by IBM
      > Global Services, the innovative Stockholm Project has yielded a 25
      > percent reduction in the first month of operation, removing 100,000
      > vehicles from the roads during peak business hours while resulting in

      > a corresponding increase of 40,000 mass transit users per day.
      >
      > The system is scheduled to run for seven months, at which time
      > Stockholm residents will vote on whether or not they will agree to
      pay
      > for the privilege of driving in the city. If the referendum passes,
      > Sweden will implement the world's most extensive system of congestion

      > pricing.
      >
      > "It is important to me for Stockholm to become an exciting region in

      > Europe," said Mayor of Stockholm Annika Billstrom. "From an
      > international perspective, it is important to not only have economic

      > growth, but environmental growth. Many cities have serious
      > environmental issues. We are now doing this trial with a modern,
      > exciting, new system which the rest of Europe and the world can learn

      > from."
      >
      > "The Stockholm project involved a collaborative effort by some of
      > IBM's most talented divisions across the globe and can be replicated

      > in cities around the world," said Peggy Kennelly, vice president, IBM

      > On Demand Innovation Services. "IBM's ability to harness innovative
      > thinkers around the world enables a synergy that combines insight
      with
      > sophisticated technologies, bringing added value business engagements

      > such as the Stockholm system."
      >
      > The IBM implementation starts by examining the photographs of the
      > license plates and attempting to identify the car number. If the
      > complete number is identified immediately, it is recorded in the
      > system and stored for further business processing. If identification

      > fails, the picture is moved to a central server where sophisticated
      > algorithms make a second attempt at identification using techniques
      > such as image enhancement, comparison of the front and back plates to

      > make sure they correspond.
      >
      > Payment is made by a number of channels including by direct debit
      > triggered by the recognition of an electronic tag that is loaned to
      > drivers. Camera and number plate recognition technologies identify
      > those vehicles without tags, and are also used to verify tag readings

      > and provide evidence to support the enforcement of non-payers.
      >
      > The technology chosen allows the city authority to vary the charge
      > throughout the day, drivers to have direct debit accounts and a more

      > efficient total operation. So far, the system has been fully
      > operational during the charging hours of 6.30 a.m. to 6.30 p.m.
      Monday
      > to Friday.
      >

      > The New Mobility/World Transport Agenda
      > Consult at: http://NewMobiity.org