Congestion Pricing System Trial Reduces Stockholm Traffic 25 percent in One Month

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 6, 2006

      [[Have you given your prognosis yet? If not, off to http://www.newmobility.org and click Stockholm on the lower let menu. Be brave. Say it!]]

      Congestion Pricing System Trial Reduces Stockholm Traffic 25 percent in One Month

      News Staff  - http://www.public-cio.com/newsStory.php?id=2006.03.06-98651

      The city of Stockholm, Sweden, today announced the early results of a pilot congestion pricing system designed to alleviate traffic, reduce pollution and increase the use of public transportation. The system uses cameras positioned along city routes and the drivers are encouraged to outfit their cars with RFID transponders that interact with stations along the road. Cars that are not equipped with the device are photographed, matched to a motor vehicle database, and then billed by the integrated system. All eligible vehicles entering or leaving the charging zone are charged based on time of day, with fares highest during peak rush hours, and up to a maximum charge per day.

      Developed in collaboration with IBM Research and implemented by IBM Global Services, the innovative Stockholm Project has yielded a 25 percent reduction in the first month of operation, removing 100,000 vehicles from the roads during peak business hours while resulting in a corresponding increase of 40,000 mass transit users per day.

      The system is scheduled to run for seven months, at which time
      Stockholm residents will vote on whether or not they will agree to pay for the privilege of driving in the city. If the referendum passes, Sweden will implement the world's most extensive system of congestion pricing.

      "It is important to me for
      Stockholm to become an exciting region in Europe," said Mayor of Stockholm Annika Billstrom. "From an international perspective, it is important to not only have economic growth, but environmental growth. Many cities have serious environmental issues. We are now doing this trial with a modern, exciting, new system which the rest of Europe and the world can learn from."

      "The
      Stockholm project involved a collaborative effort by some of IBM's most talented divisions across the globe and can be replicated in cities around the world," said Peggy Kennelly, vice president, IBM On Demand Innovation Services. "IBM's ability to harness innovative thinkers around the world enables a synergy that combines insight with sophisticated technologies, bringing added value business engagements such as the Stockholm system."

      The IBM implementation starts by examining the photographs of the license plates and attempting to identify the car number. If the complete number is identified immediately, it is recorded in the system and stored for further business processing. If identification fails, the picture is moved to a central server where sophisticated algorithms make a second attempt at identification using techniques such as image enhancement, comparison of the front and back plates to make sure they correspond.

      Payment is made by a number of channels including by direct debit triggered by the recognition of an electronic tag that is loaned to drivers. Camera and number plate recognition technologies identify those vehicles without tags, and are also used to verify tag readings and provide evidence to support the enforcement of non-payers.

      The technology chosen allows the city authority to vary the charge throughout the day, drivers to have direct debit accounts and a more efficient total operation. So far, the system has been fully operational during the charging hours of
      6.30 a.m. to 6.30 p.m. Monday to Friday.

    • Sunny
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 7, 2006
        Dear All,

        It is a very interesting phenomenon in Stockholm. It would also be nice
        to know about what happened to the traffic. Did the transit ridership
        increase or has the traffic shifted to other streets in most of the
        cases the transit ridership increases and so does the modal split. It
        would be nice if Stockholm incorporates encouragement of non-motorists
        along with the pricing. This can be done in the same areas of pricing.

        Personally, I expect the project will win the peoples votes and become a
        success. On the other hand, though the project concerns only the people
        of Stockholm, the success of this project can be a case study for
        several developing cities around the world.

        Sunny

        -----
        Santhosh Kumar K
        Master Student,
        Faculty of Environment and Resource Studies,
        Mahidol University,
        Thailand
        sksunny@...
        sunnysanthosh@...

        Eric Britton wrote:

> [...]
        > fails, the picture is moved to a central server where sophisticated
        > algorithms make a second attempt at identification using techniques
        > such as image enhancement, comparison of the front and back plates to
        > make sure they correspond.
        >
        > Payment is made by a number of channels including by direct debit
        > triggered by the recognition of an electronic tag that is loaned to
        > drivers. Camera and number plate recognition technologies identify
        > those vehicles without tags, and are also used to verify tag readings
        > and provide evidence to support the enforcement of non-payers.
        >
        > The technology chosen allows the city authority to vary the charge
        > throughout the day, drivers to have direct debit accounts and a more
        > efficient total operation. So far, the system has been fully
        > operational during the charging hours of 6.30 a.m. to 6.30 p.m. Monday

      • K.Tsourlakis
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 18, 2006
          It seems you take for granted that everybody aiming at a more
          sustainable future considers as a positive step these "congestion
          pricing" schemes. The rejoicing for this restraint of licence and
          liberty unjustifiable enjoyed by the drivers in the cities until now, is
          the first spontaneous reaction for most of us. And these schemes can
          (and should) indeed be used theoretically as a model in an argumentation
          against car use. However, in the long run, are they truly beneficial for
          a carfree future for the cities, or are they actually helpful for the
          prolongation of the car use? Is congestion the core problem in car use,
          or just a symptom (one of many and more serious)? For a more thorough
          discussion take a look here:

          http://www.geocities.com/pezosgr/LCC.htm

        • Wetzel Dave
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 24, 2006
            Re: WorldTransport Forum Congestion Pricing System Trial Reduces Stockholm Traffic 25 percent in One Month

            Congestion charging in London is not just about cars travelling more freely. We have reduced crashes, reduced pollution, given more time at traffic signals for pedestrians, more cycle lanes and cycle stop lines pauinted green in front of vehicle stop lines, pedestrianised a part of Trafalgar Square, more bus lanes and other bus priorities and spent the £100m surplus revenue on improving bus services.

            Not just because of congestion charging but as a result of us implementing the Mayor's Transport Strategy over the past 5 years in London overall we've seen a 40% increase in bus use (now 6.5m bus journeys a day), a doubling of cycling on our Transport for London Red Routes and a 4% modal shift from car to bus.
            Best Wishes,
            Dave

            Dave Wetzel
            Vice-Chair TfL
            Tel: 020 7126 4200
            --------------------------

            Eric Britton wrote:

> [...]
            >central server where sophisticated algorithms make a second attempt at
            >identification using techniques such as image enhancement, comparison of the
            >front and back plates to make sure they correspond.
            >
            >Payment is made by a number of channels including by direct debit triggered
            >by the recognition of an electronic tag that is loaned to drivers. Camera
            >and number plate recognition technologies identify those vehicles without
            >tags, and are also used to verify tag readings and provide evidence to
            >support the enforcement of non-payers.
            >
            >The technology chosen allows the city authority to vary the charge
            >throughout the day, drivers to have direct debit accounts and a more
            >efficient total operation. So far, the system has been fully operational
            >during the charging hours of 6.30 a.m. to 6.30 p.m. Monday to Friday.

            ________________________________

          • K.Tsourlakis
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 30, 2006
              Wetzel Dave wrote:
              Congestion charging in London is not just about cars travelling more freely. We have reduced crashes, reduced pollution, given more time at traffic signals for pedestrians, more cycle lanes and cycle stop lines pauinted green in front of vehicle stop lines, pedestrianised a part of Trafalgar Square, more bus lanes and other bus priorities and spent the £100m surplus revenue on improving bus services.

              I know it is supposed that congestion charge in London was beneficial also for pedestrians and cyclists, but I have the feeling that cars took the lion's share. The scheme zone in London is 22km2 and congestion in the zone during charging hours has been reduced by 30 per cent. If 10% (or maybe more?) is a realistic estimation for the percentage roads occupy in London, that means that 22 x 10% x 30% = 0,66km2 = 660.000 sq.m have been freed from car use. How much surface occupy the additional pedestrianised space around Trafalgar Square and the additional cycle lanes inside the scheme zone (those of them created from previously road space)? And how many people (inside the scheme zone) travel on foot, by bus or cycling, and how many still move on automobiles?

              Accident reduction is not the result of the scheme per se, but the result of the lower car use - and indicates indeed the only real way to cut down road accidents: i.e. to cut down car (and motorcycle) use!

              Not just because of congestion charging but as a result of us implementing the Mayor's Transport Strategy over the past 5 years in London overall we've seen a 40% increase in bus use (now 6.5m bus journeys a day), a doubling of cycling on our Transport for London Red Routes and a 4% modal shift from car to bus.

              The mayor should be praised for the better public transport measures, but these could also have been implemented without the congestion charge scheme. However it should be noted that better buses are not beneficial only for pedestrians, but also for car users, because they move traffic out of the road, creating this way better road conditions for the remaining car traffic. And an increase in bus capacity is an integral part of the scheme, in order to move the (second class?) citizens who are conscious enough to not use cars, or not able to afford the road charge.

              And now, just to come to the point: what is the (current and perspective, after the congestion charge scheme) modal split in Stockholm? How much space is estimated to be the liberated from car traffic, and how do the project initiators intend to use it - to facilitate motorised traffic, or for the benefit of pedestrians and cyclists?

              Best Wishes,
              Dave

              Dave Wetzel
              Vice-Chair TfL