Fresh look at mobility

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2006

      A bit more background on Alice’s good heads-up on that Fresh look at mobility shindig in Norway in June. It occurred to me that this opening page might interest at least some of this, one hopes, thoughtful group. ;-)

      Confirmed contributors

      Contact information

      The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU)
      and the
      Norwegian Academy of Technological Sciences (NTVA)
      would like to welcome you to the international symposium

      Mobilities in Transit

      Rethinking the artifacts, images and surroundings
      of human motion and movability

      Trondheim, Norway, 14 - 17 June 2006

      The imprint of increasing mobility in a globalizing world is so profound that it calls for analysis far beyond the fora of established academic disciplines. Only a truly inter- and transdisciplinary approach of research can guarantee to do justice to the complexity of problems emerging in the spaces of mobility.

      The symposium aims at the development of a broader and deeper discourse with mutual enrichment between scholars from all relevant milieus. Might it be necessary to transform our understandings of mobility (and mobilities), as well as the scholarly modes employed in their study and in reflecting on them? Should science also start a movement that is analogous to "Mobilities in transit"?

      Questions like these and others will be emphasised at the event. Even if moving obviously must be regarded as an existential necessity of human beings, we do lack a differentiated academic discourse about the artifacts, images, and socio-cultural and natural environments of mobility.

      Be inspired!

      The rhythm of the meeting before midsummer will alternate between invited speakers, plenary discussions, ‘open isles of discussion’ and excursions to some of mid-Norway’s enchanting natural and built surroundings. The symposium will assemble invited keynote speakers and other contributors as well as scholars interested in the theme of the symposium. Needless to say, your interest in the theme, rather than the discipline you belong to, is likely to provide the motivation to participate. A scientific pluralism and variety would, in fact, produce one of the important driving forces of such an event.

      Welcome to Trondheim in June!

      Sigurd Bergmann          Thomas Hoff                    Tore Sager
      professor                        associate professor          professor

      (Religious Studies)          (Psychology)                    (Transport Planning)