Re: re WorldTransport Forum Sustainable transportation in tongues was Fwd: Re: [Kyoto2020] Express toll roads + More on

  • Wetzel Dave
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 20, 2006
      Hi Kerry,
      Have you also considerf the role that tax policy can impact on urban
      develoment?

      If urban land which is empty or underused is not taxed but we tax buildings
      that are occupied then landowners are encouraged to keep their sites empty.
      The site appreciates in price and this can be released through bank loans
      using the site's deeds as security.

      As theses sites continue to remain empty they deny the local population
      jobs, homes and leisure facilities. THE shortage of available urban space
      then encourages not only higher land prices but also unnecessary urban
      sprawl and unsustainable transport modes.

      The solution is to support Annual Land Value Tax where every site is valued
      for its optimum permitted use and an annual rate or poundshe is applied. In
      this way the owners of empty or underused sites would have a financial
      incentive to bring them into good use. Not only would this help avoid urban
      sprawl but also facilitate more efficient towns and cities. (eg greater use
      of existing transport infrastructure).

      See www.LabourLand.org

      And Fred Harrison's new book "Wheels of Fortune" out today!

      Dave

      Dave Wetzel
      Vice-Chair TfL

      Tel: 020 7126 4200