Re: re WorldTransport Forum Sustainable transportation intongues was Fwd: Re: [Kyoto2020] Express toll roads + More on

  • Chris Bradshaw
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2006
      This response extends my more abstract definition of ST to some fertile
      ground.

      Yes, light rail is not sustainable; only less _unsustainable_ than commuting
      by car. Light rail supports far-flung suburbs, while street cars support,
      well, street-car suburbs (see "City Life" by Witold Rybczinski, 1995), and
      while bus service supports a city form somwhere inbetween. While light-rail
      suburbs require one car per driver in the household, bus-transit requires
      one car per household, and street-car suburbs require no car.

      Likewise, a smaller, more efficient, or alternative-fuel vehicle is also
      less
      _unsustainable_ than another private vehicle. It will still take as much
      space on
      the road and in parking lots, it will still threaten the life and limb of
      others, it will
      still create noise, and it still will require lots of energy and resources
      to manufacture,
      transport to a dealer, and dispose of when its 'life' ends.

      It is an important part of sustainable transport and communities to accept
      some principle of organizing communities to respect what I call the scalar
      hierarchy, in which the trips taken most frequently are short enough to be
      made by walking (even if pulling a small cart), while the next more frequent
      trips require a bike or street car, and so on. If one adheres to this
      (requiring living in communities organized thusly: medium densities, mixed
      _and smaller_ uses), then there are so few trips to be made by car that
      owning one is foolish.

      Of course, it helps, during a transitional phase of a reture to ST, to have
      access to a car everyone once in a while. The is the function of what I
      call the
      "KyAUTO" (the Kyoto-inspired accessible, utilitarian, transportation
      optimizer), or what is provided by cars that are shared: carsharing,
      car-rental,
      taxis, ridesharing, and simple sharing with family members and neighbours.

      Chris Bradshaw
      Vrtucar, Ottawa
      "The Only Good Car is a Shared Car"
      (Vrtucar's new slogan)