measurable targets

  • Paul Steely White
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 26, 2006
      Dear Friends,

      Our hard-working colleague Paul Steely White who runs the group
      Transportation Alternatives in New York has asked if we might sweep
      the group for information on "cities that have adopted specific modal
      targets"?

      And along with that: cities that have adopted measurable targets for
      improving public space? (such as Jan Gehl's metric of "the optional
      time people spend on the street"?

      His email is paul@..., but since this is a matter of great
      interest and importance, may I ask that you also copy to the list?

      What's it for? Well, that too is something that is also well worth our
      attention. In his words: "We are working with some New York City
      Council members to draft legislation mandating that our DOT measure
      transportation and street performance in some exciting new ways." And
      it is precisely this sort of informed expert, open interaction between
      citizen groups and those whom we have mandated to administrate our
      cities. . . that the New Mobility Agenda is all about.

      So I do very much hope we shall be seeing some lively exchanges on this here.

      Thanks,

      Eric Britton

      PS. By the way, it is Paul's group that is producing the Contested
      Streets film (see top link on the main menu of the Agenda if you have
      not been there yet) and the news is that the final product should be
      completed at some point in March. Again, it would be him who you can
      address to get a copy of it on DVD. (And may we see many more like
      it.)