Value capture and smarter ways of paying for needed transportation investments

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 22, 2006
      Dear World Transport Colleagues,

      As you know we try to keep the firewalls between our various programs
      fairly tight here for reasons of economy of your time, but here is one
      new program here at The Commons which relates closely to our interests
      here: The Land Café at www.landcafe.org.

      The common ground is value capture and smarter ways of paying for
      needed transportation investments that increase property and
      commercial values.

      May I invite you to have a quick look, and if you like what you see to
      get involved?

      Best/eric britton
    • Paul Steely White
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 26, 2006
        Dear Friends,

        Our hard-working colleague Paul Steely White who runs the group
        Transportation Alternatives in New York has asked if we might sweep
        the group for information on "cities that have adopted specific modal
        targets"?

        And along with that: cities that have adopted measurable targets for
        improving public space? (such as Jan Gehl's metric of "the optional
        time people spend on the street"?

        His email is paul@..., but since this is a matter of great
        interest and importance, may I ask that you also copy to the list?

        What's it for? Well, that too is something that is also well worth our
        attention. In his words: "We are working with some New York City
        Council members to draft legislation mandating that our DOT measure
        transportation and street performance in some exciting new ways." And
        it is precisely this sort of informed expert, open interaction between
        citizen groups and those whom we have mandated to administrate our
        cities. . . that the New Mobility Agenda is all about.

        So I do very much hope we shall be seeing some lively exchanges on this here.

        Thanks,

        Eric Britton

        PS. By the way, it is Paul's group that is producing the Contested
        Streets film (see top link on the main menu of the Agenda if you have
        not been there yet) and the news is that the final product should be
        completed at some point in March. Again, it would be him who you can
        address to get a copy of it on DVD. (And may we see many more like
        it.)