New Moblity 101 -- and for less than the price of a single bus

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 28, 2005

      Dear New Mobility Folk,

      Just in case you are not already fully up to scratch on this, I would like to remind you of the importance of carsharing as a motor (one of many but certainly a far from trivial one) for changing habits and ways of viewing and using the transportation systems of our cities. TO that end – and while I normally try to keep these various focus programs generally apart so as to avoid overload – I am attaching a trio of resources that you might wish to have at least a quick look at. Between them and our website at http://worldcarshare.com – and its many extensions – you will quickly be up to date on what it going on here.

      The thing that puts off many who are on the looking for magic bullet solutions to the problems of our cities, is that the answers lay in understanding and anticipating and providing for a very large number of mainly quite small things. One of them is carsharing, which any city can make an informed decision about AND have a first rate detailed implementation and business plan for less than the price of a single bus.

      Try it. You’ll like it.

      Eric Britton

    • Behalf Of Ana Bazzan, bazzan inf.ufrgs.br
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 28, 2005
        Building effective and user-friendly transportation systems is one of
        the big challenges for engineers in the 21st century. The rapid change
        of location, enabled by plane, high-speed rail, sea and road travel,
        has constantly become easier and more natural. These days we travel
        without any of the difficulties that accompanied taking a trip less
        than a century ago. All we have to do is to organize and to pick up
        the transport mode that comes closest to our objectives. In much the
        same way, many new opportunities for the delivery of goods are being
        explored and commercially exploited.

        The purpose of this workshop is to bring researchers and practitioners
        together in order to set up visions on how agent technology can be and
        is used for today's isolated IT-tools so as to model, simulate, and
        manage large-scale complex transportation systems. Therefore, we are
        interested in research papers, case studies and practitioners' reports
        on the implementation and use of Autonomous Agents in all areas
        related to transportation, traffic and logistics. Besides running
        real-world applications, we are also interested in papers concerning
        demonstrators or testbed that are still under development. Conceptual
        papers and those reporting on particular components of transportation
        systems are also welcome.

        This is the fourth of a series of workshops: 2000 (with selected papers
        published by the journal Transportation Research C), 2001, and 2004 (with
        proceedings published in a book by Birkhäuser and selected and extended
        papers published in a special volume of Transportation Research C).

        Relevant topics include (but are not limited to):

        * agent-based applications in traffic,
        transportation, and logistics

        * agent-based approaches to modelling driver
        behaviour

        * coordination in multiagent transportation
        systems

        * agent-based simulation of transportation
        systems

        * intelligent peer-to-peer transportation
        systems

        * mobile devices and agents in transportation
        systems

        Submission Details

        Contributions should not exceed ten pages in English. Additional formatting
        information
        will be given in time. Contributions should carry the title,
        author(s) name(s), and affiliation including e-mail address, and should
        include
        an abstract. Electronic submission is highly recommended. Submissions are
        accepted as documents
        in PDF or compressed PostScript, only.

        Important Dates

        Paper submission deadline: January 15th, 2006
        Notifications of acceptance/rejection: February 19th, 2006
        Camera-ready copies due:
        Workshop Date: May 9th, 2006

        Organizing Commitee

        Ana L. C. Bazzan, UFRGS (Brazil)
        bazzan inf.ufrgs.br

        Brahim Chaib-draa, Université Laval (Canada)
        chaib ift.ulaval.ca
        Franziska Kluegl, Universitaet Wuerzburg (Germany)
        kluegl informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de

        Sascha Ossowski, Universidad Rey Juan Carlos (Spain)
        sascha.ossowski urjc.es

        PLEASE TAKE A LOOK AT http://ki.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/~kluegl/att2006
        FOR MORE UPDATED INFORMATION