Bogota II - "Sin mi carro en Bogota? Para que la democracia ruede".

  • ecopl@n.adsl
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2001
      Today, February 1st, 2001, the city of Bogotá and its close to seven million
      citizens are getting together to celebrate their second car-free day, this
      year entitled "Sin mi carro en Bogotá? Para que la democracia ruede". Once
      again, the area of coverage of the car free zone is city-wide, and the ban
      on private car traffic runs from 6:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.

      If you turn to our Earth Car Free Day site at www.carfreeday.com you will
      see a direct link to their Spanish language site (which you can also get
      directly via http://www.sinmicarroenbogota.com/) as well as a handy lead-in
      as to how to use the machine translation if your Spanish is not quite up to
      it.

      The 2001 Day has built directly on the considerable body of information,
      ideas and international and local public support that was developed in the
      path-breaking 2000 project. This year's project is the first of their new
      mayor who has just one month ago today assumed office. I view this as a
      great testimonial to the strength of the idea and all that has occurred in
      its wake.

      And by the way, we are still waiting for all your good ideas for Earth Car
      Free Day 2001, which is going to take place all over this small planet
      starting in 76 days, 12 hours and 11 minutes from the moment I post this
      note to you. Check it out at www.carfreeday.com and you will see there is a
      great deal that you can make use of here to reinforce your own projects and
      the quality of your city's transportation system, equity and environment.
      And if in the process you have to revise your thinking as to what a car-free
      day is all about, well that is probably for the best since we can and have
      to do better than we have up to now.

      Let us hear from you. Team work! Sustainability! Social justice! Direct
      action by concerned and responsible citizens!

      Eric Britton

      ecopl@n___ technology, economy, society ___
      Eric.Britton@... URL ecoplan.org
      Day phone: +331 4326 1323 Mobile: +336 80 96 78 79
      Voice/Videoconference/Data +331.4441.6340 (1-4)
      24 hour Voicemail/Fax hotline: +331 5301 2896