The End of Oil - Conference on Peak Oil, Food and the Economy, Lo ndon, UK

  • Wetzel Dave
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2005

      The End of Oil - Conference on Peak Oil, Food and the EconomyLondon,
      11th October 2005
      A major conference examining the peak oil problem & its impact on
      climate change, the world's food supply & the world economy. Speakers
      include Michael Meacher MP, Tim Lang & Andrew Simms (of NEF), chaired by
      Dr Ian Gibson MP. The conference is organised by East Anglia Food Link,
      CRed, Sustain and PowerSwitch.

      The problem
      The world's oil supply is running out.

      Most analysts agree that once we pass the half-way point in the world's
      oil reserves, production will begin to drop off as the remaining
      reserves are more difficult to extract. Some believe that point will
      come in the next 12 months, others think we have 10 years or more left.
      But either way, we need to prepare now by reducing our dependency on
      this finite resource.Oil and gas supply 85% of the energy used in the
      UK. By comparison, nuclear supplies 4% and renewables 1%. Can nuclear be
      expanded by a factor of 20, or renewables by a factor of 85? Will coal
      fill the gap, and at what cost to global warming? Do we have enough coal
      left to expand its use 12 times over?

      We rely on energy to produce, process and transport food. As energy
      becomes more expensive, will our food system revert to local production
      and organic methods? Can the world continue to feed itself at all
      without cheap energy? What steps should we be taking right now to avert
      future hunger?

      Does the end of cheap oil herald the end of globalisation? Is the notion
      of continual economic growth consistent with a shrinking energy supply?
      Some observers predict a recession of 1930s proportions, but lasting
      much longer. Others believe the economic system could be reinvented
      along sustainable lines.

      For more information on peak oil, see The Association for the Study of
      Peak Oil and Gas or The Oil Depletion Analysis Centre. To join a network
      of individuals concerned about peak oil go to Powerswitch.org.uk. Good
      books on the subject include Richard Douthwaite's When the Wells Run
      Dry, Matthew Simmons' Twilight in the Desert, and Colin Campbell's The
      Coming Oil Crisis..

      The End of Oil, One-day Conference, 11 October 2005, London
      This conference will aim to discuss the problems arising from a peak in
      oil production, and to begin to plan responses to ameliorate those problems.

      It is aimed at policy-makers, business people, NGOs and individuals who
      use energy or eat food.

      The event will be chaired by Dr Ian Gibson, MP, Chair of the Science and
      Technology Committee of the House of Commons

      Speakers include

      Michael Meacher MP Former Environment Minister
      Chris Skrebowski Editor, Petroleum Review
      Tim Lang Professor of Food Policy, City University
      Andrew Simms Policy Director, New Economics Foundation
      Richard Douthwaite Author of "When the Wells Run Dry"
      Keith Tovey Reader in Environmental Sciences, University of East Anglia

      The conference will take place at The Insurance Hall, London EC2 from
      09:30 to 4:00.

      The fee (including lunch) is

      £50 for private-sector and public-sector organisations
      £25 for NGOs and individuals