SV: WorldTransport Forum Elizabeth Kolbert - Climate of Man

  • martin.strid@vv.se
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 13, 2005
      Meddelande
      Yes, really, we have to combat the Trafikinfarkt.
      France and Netherlands may have set the new direction last week?

      As for temperature, air conditioning always seemed to me top be a luxury problem.
      I stayed in Douala, Cameroon, in a local residential quarter without even a fan and can testify that in the course of a couple of weeks, your body adapts to the conditions quite well.
      We had air conditioning in the office, it always made me freeze and in addition I think it caused people to be more sick.
      Not the low temperature as such, but the rpeated change in climate everytime you entered or left the room.
      It was nothing but a sign of high status.

      We need to learn (and partly relearn) to build houses in a smarter way, cool in summer and, to take a more important Nordic requirement, warm (well insulated and heat recycling) in wintertime.

      A former colleague of mine, researcher at Luleå I. T., Sweden, not only showed in an article that regardless of carbon dioxide, the spill heat from fossil fuel burning (and nuclear energy!) can account for MORE than the rise in global temperature so far.
      He also has an idea of "central lighting" from a "normal" fire to all the rooms of a house using fibre technology.
      That is the kind of smart development we may need, rather than missile attacks on threats to oil supremacy.

      Amike vin salutas

      # :-)
      Martin