RE: WorldTransport Forum Empty Chair in Kyoto

  • Derek Scrafton
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 20, 2005
      RE: WorldTransport Forum Empty Chair in Kyoto

      Eric,

      Excellent commentary and timely. Although I am not particularly active locally (there comes a time when you have to let others get on with it, or not as the case seems to be in many cities) I am still a great supporter of your efforts.

      Derek.
      Professor Derek Scrafton
      Transport Systems Centre
      University of South Australia
      City East Campus, North Terrace
      Adelaide, South Australia 5000
      Australia
      ph: +61 8 8302 1860
      fax: +61 8 8302 1880
      email: derek.scrafton@...

      http://www.unisa.edu.au/tsc/index.html

        ----------
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 20, 2005
        This initiative from Seattle sounds like it may fit well with the Kyoto Cities
        Challenge...

        Grist Magazine
        Seattle, other U.S. cities to hammer out their own Kyoto-like reductions

        The Kyoto Protocol has arrived, and though the Bush administration
        has opted out, others in the U.S. are not so climate oblivious.
        Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels announced Wednesday he's leading an effort
        to get major U.S. cities to agree to Kyoto-like reductions of their
        greenhouse-gas emissions, to show the feds that "the cost is minimal
        or there isn't a cost at all," he said. The mayors of 10 other
        cities including Salt Lake City, Minneapolis, and Portland, Ore.,
        have already expressed interest in the effort, to be formalized in
        June at the U.S. Conference of Mayors in Chicago. To help Seattle
        find creative ways of meeting Kyoto targets, Nickels has created a
        "green ribbon" coalition chaired by Denis Hayes, environmental leader
        and coordinator of the first Earth Day, and
        current-but-soon-to-be-former CEO of Starbucks Orin Smith. "This is
        not going to be 'turn out your lights when you leave rooms.' We'll
        be looking for ways we can dramatically decarbonize the economy and
        at the same time make it robust," said Hayes.

        straight to the source: Seattle Post-Intelligencer, Kathy Mulady, 17 Feb 2005
        <http://grist.org/cgi-bin/forward.pl?forward_id=4363>

        straight to the source: Seattle Times, Bob Young, 17 Feb 2005
        <http://grist.org/cgi-bin/forward.pl?forward_id=4364>

        Mobility Agenda site at http://newmobility.org <http://newmobility.org/> .

        Source: The New Mobility Agenda at <http://newmobility.org%20/>
[...]

        <http://ecoplan.org/> http://ecoplan.org

        Le Frene, 8/10 rue Joseph Bara 75006 Paris, France

        E: <mailto:postmaster@...> postmaster@...