Recommendation: Welcome to The Discussions

  • EcoPlan, Paris
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 12, 2005

      New Mobility Discussions and News – A recommendation:

      There are at present some 350 registered members of this World Transport Forum and about three times that many who regularly check in to the New Mobility Agenda.  That said, the limitation of this @Forum is that it serves primarily for periodic announcements but is not a place where ideas and information from our members and others concerned with the sustainable transportation agenda are accessible.  We realize that you are busy and that the last thing you want to do is have your email box invaded by a surfeit of messages, but there is a good way around this which I should now like to propose to you.

      1.      First though a quick visit to the New Mobility Agenda at http://newmobility.org. Where you will see in the top menu an item marked The Discussions. Kindly click.

      2.      There you will see a collection of some of the most useful discussions of the sustainable transportation agenda by highly knowledgeable people and groups most of whom are right in the middles of the action – policy and practice.  Of these we would draw your attention to the following which are particularly active and in our view most useful:

      a.      The New Mobility Cafe

      b.      Sustran - The Sustainable Transport Action Network for Asia & the Pacific

      c.      The Universities' Transport Study Group Archives

      d.      The Land Café

      3.      And here is our proposal to you in these cases. Let’s take as example the New      Mobility Cafe where you have four main options when you sign in:

      a.      Individual emails.  Send individual email messages.

      b.      Daily digest.  Send many emails in one message.

      c.      Special notices.  Only send me important update emails from the group moderator. No email.  I'll read the messages at the Web site.

      c.(I recommend (b) or (c) – which will hold down the mail load.)

      4.      That said, I also strongly recommend that you make a habit of checking in from time to time, since the discussions are often at quite a high level and not only informative but also challenging.

      5.      I should mention in leaving you on this, that our sites are also quite carefully moderated to make sure that they stay on target. But you will in any event see this as you check them out in each case.

      PS. Cross-posting.  There are times when we cross-post information to especially these four sites on a selective basis, in instances in which we judge the discussions to be too useful to take the risk of their somehow getting lost in the shuffle. (One day we shall have to figure out how to do this better.)