Recommended device for free international phone calls

  • EcoPlan, Paris
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 13, 2005

      Thursday, January 13, 2005, Paris, France, Europe

      Dear World New Mobility Colleagues,

      In the spirit of international cooperation in support of our strongly shared concerns for advancing the New Mobility Agenda in specific ways and without further undue delay, I would like to invite you today to give serious consideration to a new software tool for communication that you probably have already heard about but only a few of us have as yet started to use.

      The product is Skype, and their website is www.skype.com.  Skype offers free IP telephone calls to all who are signed on to their network.  Also in its latest version it offers two new wrinkles that are of use to many of us: direct file transfer and the possibility of conference calls bringing together up to four people at the same time. Sound quality?  We find it comparable to the normal phone, and often better.  It is also – and this is indeed important for those many of us who are cash-strapped in our public interest work – free.

      To make it work for you, you will need a recent computer, a sound card, and a minimum 33.6 Kbps modem or broadband: cable, DSL, etc. (As often on the web, faster is better, but for once it is not a barrier in this case.)  Skype works with Mac and Linux as well as Windows. For full product information and system requirements, try http://www.skype.com/products/.

      We feel strongly enough about our international collaboration that we invite you to get in touch once you have it installed so that we can together check it out and see how it might best work for you.  My personal Skype address/number is simply ericbritton (no punctuation).  If you go today to the New Mobility Agenda site at http://newmobility.org, you will note that we have put a one-click icon for a direct Skype call to us here on the left menu.

      I hope that this will open up an era of closer communication and more efficient cooperation between us and all those with whom we are working and exchanging materials and cooperating internationally. In the fight for sustainable development and social justice in this world and now, we need to make use of every possible tool and advantage that we can get our hands on. (And please be assured that we have used this latest bit of technology on a daily basis for some months before proposing it to you.)

      With all good wishes,

      Eric Britton

      PS. Want to take this one step further and move on to free one on one and group videoconferencing.  If so, have a look at out http://newmobilitypartners.org site and you will find out how to do this in a few minutes.