From New Regionalism to New Urbanism: Changing the Paradigm

  • EcoPlan, Paris
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 8, 2005

      If you click  to the New Mobility Agenda at http://newmobility.org and click A Day at the Office on the top menu, you will find this interesting essay by Peter Calthorpe which takes an architect/planner’s view of the transportation/physical development interface. Why do I bring this to your attention today?

      Well, I think that our still forming-up world sustainable transportation community has to look for and work with allies (and opponents) wherever we can find them, and the New Urbanism community is pretty strong in parts of the States and is certainly a creative movement with many shared interests with our own.  It is my thought that if we can find some ways to put our heads together we just might end up fashioning some interesting alliances and materials for change.

      Hence, this is to invite you to have a look and share your reactions and suggestions with us all, if possible as well copying to our long time colleague Don Brackenbush, another architect/planner with a strong transportation background who will be at the conference, on that panel, and in a good position to relay the best of our thoughts and observations on this.

      I hope this rings a bell with at least a few of you.   2005 is going to be a big year for us and sustainable mobility, and we want to make sure that we get the momentum going for us from the very beginning,