Re: [New Mobility/WorldTransport Forum] HIGHEST PRIORITY: Post-Tsunami rebuilding - the role of sustainable mobility proponents

  • tara.bartee@dot.state.fl.us
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 29, 2004

      You are correct that it will be incredibly difficult to get heard.

      I took part in the disaster response in Florida to our four hurricanes this
      year. I can attest that the hectic nature of response makes it very
      difficult to deal with the simplest of issues, much less real changes in
      infrastructure. The disparity in resources makes me think that whatever
      difficulties we had here are absolutely nothing compared to those in the
      path of the tsunami.

      The pressure to get things going again as fast as possible will be
      incredible. It will be essential to get transportation going first, or the
      rest of the relief won't be able get through. Time to rethink HOW things
      will be rebuilt will be an unbelievable luxury. What gets accomplished in
      the initial response has a serious impact on what can be accomplished in
      the ongoing recovery stage. The existing system will have to be replaced,
      perhaps with incremental improvements.

      A better strategy might be to monitor the response for sustainability
      issues. Afterwards, make cogent, specific recommendations to international
      disaster response and recovery organizations on planning in advance to
      correct "mistakes" when a disaster presents an "opportunity". For
      example, in much of the flood prone US, property owners are advised that in
      the next "event" they will not get federal disaster assistance to rebuild
      in the flood plain. Such aid will be available only for relocation and
      building anew on higher ground. Thus incremental restructuring occurs.

      The URL below takes you to an article about some of the advance planning we
      do in Florida.

      And this takes you to some planning for the next disaster.

      Tara Bartee
      Public Transit Office FDOT
      Voice 850-414-4520
      FAX 850-414-4508
      E-Mail tara.bartee@...

      "EcoPlan, Paris"
      plan.org> To
      12/29/2004 08:00 cc
      AM "'UTSG'" <UTSG@...>
      [New Mobility/WorldTransport Forum]
      Please respond to HIGHEST PRIORITY: Post-Tsunami
      WorldTransport@ya rebuilding - the role of
      hoogroups.com sustainable mobility proponents

      Wednesday, December 29, 2004, Paris, France, Europe

      Dear Friends and Colleagues,

      In the wake of the current tragic events in the regions affected by
      Tsunami, and once the terrible immediate health and basic needs of these
      areas and their people have started to be met, it is going to be time to
      take a number of decisions about rebuilding in all those impacted areas.
      And at the center of this rebuilding will be the transportation sector.
      Since this is the case, and since it opens up some unique opportunities in
      terms of sustainability, I invite us to think about it together.

      My question to you all here is: might this be a unique opportunity for us
      to make the voice of sustainable transportation and social justice heard
      once and for all as it should be? There are at least three things about
      this approach that recommend it strongly in the immediate situation and the
      after-math. First, sustainability proponents are used to figuring out how
      to get the most mileage, the most sustainable mobility bang per buck, out
      of the infrastructure and related realties and constraints before them.
      Second, they are accustomed to dealing with the physical mobility issues
      and needs in a far more resource and environmentally efficient manner. And
      third, the sustainability approach to defining and meeting the needs of
      people is based on an active citizenry, surely a precondition of the rapid
      progress which is needed at this time. So for all these reasons, the
      sustainability approach should be at the center of the transport policy and
      practice debate and decisions that must now follow.

      Here’s our bottom line: The proponents of sustainable development now have
      a unique opportunity to influence transportation decisions and the specific
      hands-on programs and measure that follow, not only in the affected tragic
      regions but also world wide – since anything of real value that is
      accomplished there is going to gain world wide attention.

      But are we as yet geared up really to make our voices heard at this time?
      It is my view that despite the growing body of expertise and
      accomplishment, the proponents of sustainable transportation or new
      mobility are still very much a minority and until now not able to get in
      there and really change the problematique and the practices when it comes
      to investing money and making the big decisions which shape the system.

      In this context, I would like to propose here that those of you who have
      not as yet had an opportunity to look over our proposal for sustainable
      transportation as a “Third Voice” in the coming high profile international
      project, might wish to check out the following latest draft of the proposal
      in process – with a view to seeing if anything here can be used or built on
      to create the higher profile ‘voice’ that is going to be needed in the
      months and several years immediately ahead to make the wise decisions that
      are going to be essential if the rebuilding efforts are to be accomplished
      with maximum speed and best overall fit into the communities and people
      directly affected.

      To conclude: It may well be that my proposal that follows here is not the
      best way for us to join voices to see what can be done now to influence
      these important decisions that are going to be make in our beloved sector.
      No problem. Toss it out the window, and come in here with your
      suggestions. The issues are so very important, the opportunity so unique,
      and the decision window likely to be open for such a short period, that we
      really need to seize this opportunity to be every bit as smart and
      responsible as we can be.

      I hope that this will set off better thoughts and a course of action that
      mobilizes as many of us as possible.

      Eric Britton

      “Principal Voices”- Sustainable Transportation as a Third Voice

      Principal Voices 2005: The immediate objective of this cooperative
      sustainability initiative is to see what we can do to create and make heard
      a much-needed balancing “Voice” for the transportation component of the
      potentially important Principal Voices (www.PrincipalVoices.com) project
      over 2005 though the participation of an ‘invisible college’ of
      knowledgeable, independent, world level proponents of sustainable transport
      in all its many aspects (or New Mobility if you like). By way of quick
      reminder, here is what the sponsors say about themselves: “Principal Voices
      is an international project aimed at provoking discussion on some of the
      more compelling challenges confronting our world today. Over the next 12
      months TIME, FORTUNE and CNN, in association with Shell, will be presenting
      a series of videos, articles and round-table discussions. Themes covered
      will include the environment, business innovation, economic development and

      Three Voice Proposal: We are proposing to work with this international
      forum to add a Third Voice in the year-long discussions, balancing in our
      view . . .
      (1) The long established defining Voice of transportation expertise
      in design, engineering, construction, operation, finance, etc., that
      has essentially dominated and defined the transportation systems of
      the 20th century and still remains the main operational paradigm in
      most places (and in any event a critical central component of the
      next generation transportation paradigm that must be able to call in
      these skills and experience). This Voice is at present most ably
      represented by Mr. Ellatuvalapil Sreedharan one of India's greatest
      civil engineers, the architect of the supposedly unbuildable Konkan
      Railway linking Mumbai and Mangalore, and, more recently, designer of
      the Delhi Metro system (See
      for more)
      (2) A parallel but in many ways separate but powerful in its own
      right financial, institutional, political, and industrial lobby
      “Voice”, a good example of which can be seen with the WBCSD’s 2004
      “Meeting the Challenges to Sustainability” report (see
      http://www.ecoplan.org/wtpp/general/wbcsd.htm for report and some
      context) that has been actively supported by this currently
      formidable element of the transportation establishment. It is our
      view that a lively, open, high profile public dialogue between these
      three rather contrasting Voices could be a major accomplishment of
      the sponsors.

      Third Voice? Who are these people? No more no less than the hundred-plus
      individuals and independent committed groups who in my experience are among
      the leading proponents of the kind of transportation that is the most
      important of all for out planet and our times: sustainable transportation.
      This approach to understanding and deciding about mobility matters is
      altogether on another plane from the older supply-oriented, specific,
      circumscribed problem solving approach that has long been the dominant mode
      of thinking, policy and investment in the past, a time incidentally when
      the ‘problematique’ of transportation was vastly different from that which
      we face today (See Todd Litman’s recent "The Future Isn't What It Used To
      Be" at http://www.vtpi.org/future.pdf for a good overview on this). This
      new and far broader approach is the next step in a cumulative long run
      process of intellectual, economic, social, environmental and political
      evolution: the world transport policy and practice paradigm of the 21st
      century. If I had to turn the leading edge of transportation policy and
      decision making over to anyone, it would be to these people and their
      international colleagues, collaborators and networks in turn. And that of
      course in parallel with the technical and other proven skills and
      virtuosity of our first Voice representatives.

      The Third Voice List in Process: Here’s the latest cut of our wide open
      working list for your comment and suggestions - see below for further
      background and suggestions concerning the further development of this
      important list. (Incidentally if you wish to know more about any of them
      until full profiles become available in each case, a visit to Google will
      serve you well in almost all cases.)

      · A. Ables, Bangkok, Thailand
      · Alan AtKisson, Stockholm, Sweden
      · Ayad Altaai, Baghdad, Iraq
      · Oscar Aguilar Juárez, Zapopan, Jalisco, Mexico
      · Paul A. Barter, Sustran, Singapore
      · Denis Baupin, City of Paris, France
      · Margaret Bell, UTSG, Leeds, UK
      · Reinie Biesenbach, Council for Scientific and Industrial
      Research/ Global Research Alliance (GRA), Pretoria, South Africa
      · Donald Brackenbush, Los Angeles, CA
      · Christ Bradshaw, Ottawa, Canada
      · Eric Bruun, Philadelphia, PA
      · Enrique Calderon, Barcelona, Spain
      · Sally Campbell, Eveleigh, Australia
      · Carl Cederschiold, Former mayor of Stockholm, Sweden
      · Robert Cervero, Berkeley, CA
      · Phil Charles, Brisbane, Australia
      · Robin Chase, Boston, MA
      · Carlos Cordero Velásquez, Lima, Peru
      · Al Cormier, Mississauga, Canada
      · Wendell Cox, St. Louis, Mo.
      · Philippe Crist, Saint Germain en Laye, France
      · Ranjith de Silva, Colombo, Ceylon
      · Carlos Dora, Rome, Italy
      · Bernard Fautrier, Monaco
      · Anwar Fazal, Kuala Lumpur, Maylasia
      · Maria Josefina Figueroa, Roskilde, Denmark
      · Duarte de Souza Rosa Filho, Porto Alegre, Brazil
      · Brendan Finn, Singapore
      · Priyanthi Fernando, Executive Secretary, International
      Forum for Rural Transport Development (IFRTD).
      · Karl Fjellstrom, Surabaya, Indonesia
      · Rossella Forenza, Potenza, Italy
      · Jan Gehl, Copenhagen, Denmark
      · Michael Glotz-Richter, Bremen, Germany
      · Phil Goodwin, Exeter, UK
      · Ingibjorg Guolaugsdottir, Reykjavik, Iceland
      · Peter Hall, Berkeley, USA
      · Sylvia Harms, Dubendorf, Switzerland
      · Roger Higman, Friends of the Earth, London, UK
      · John. Holtzclaw, Sierra Club, San Francisco, CA
      · Walter Hook, Institute for Transportation and Development
      Policy, New York
      · Nguyen Trong Thong, Hanoi, Viet Nam
      · Ursula Huws, Analytica, UK
      · Taiichi Inoue, Tokyo, Japan
      · Virgil Ioanid, Bucarest, Romania
      · Jane Jacobs, Toronto, Canada
      · Jiri Jiracek, Prague, Czech Republic
      · Dave Holladay, Glasgow, Scotland
      · Per Homann Jespersen, Roskilde, Denmark
      Sharif A Kafi, Dhaka, Bangladesh
      · Richard Katzev, Portland
      · Isam Kaysi, Beirut
      · Fred Kent, Partners for Public Spaces, NYC
      · Jeff Kenworthy, Perth, Australia
      · Gadi Kfir, Tel Aviv, Israel
      · Adam Kowalewski, Warsaw, Poland
      · Charles Kunaka, Harare
      · Stefan Langeveld, Amsterdam, Netherlands
      · Agnes Lehuen, Le Vesinet, France
      · Corinne Lepage, Paris, France
      · Graham Lightfoot, Scariff, Ireland
      · Todd Litman, Victoria, Canada
      · Stefan Lorentzson, Gothenburg. Sweden
      · Harun al-Rasyid Sorah Lubis, Bandung, Indonesia
      · Kenneth Orski, Washington, DC
      · Dojie Manahan, Quezon City, Philippines
      · Naoko Matsumoto, Kanagawa, Japan
      · Suzanne May, London, UK
      · Segundo Medína Hernández, Havana, Cuba
      Kisan Mehta, Bombay, India
      · Michael Meyer, Atlanta, GA
      · Nobuo Mishima, Kyoto, Japan
      · Dinesh Mohan, New Delhi, India
      · Mikel Murga, Bilbao, Spain
      · Peter Newman, Sydney, Australia
      · Simon Norton, Cambridge, UK
      · Margaret O'Mahony, Dublin, Ireland
      · Richard Ongjerth, Budapest, Hungary
      · Carlos F. Pardo, Bogota, Colombia
      · Sujit Patwardhan, Pune, India
      · Enrique Peñalosa, Bogota, Colombia
      · Maria Elvira Perez, Colombia
      · Rudolf Petersen, Wuppertal, Germany
      · Stephen Plowden, London, UK
      · Robert Poole, Reason Institute, Los Angeles, CA
      · Danijel Rebolj , Maribor, Slovenia
      · Ernst Reichenbach, GTZ, Katmandu
      · Michael A. Replogle, New York
      · Gabriel Roth, Chevy Chase
      · Preston Schiller, Huxley College of the Environment,
      Bellingham, WA
      · Lee Schipper, EMBARQ/World Resources Institute
      · Bodo Schwieger, Berlin, Germany
      · Derek Scrafton, Adelaide, Australia
      · Dimitris Sermpis, Athens, Greece
      · Leena Silfverberg, Helsinki, Finland
      · Robert Smith, Dorset, UK
      · Ivan Stanic, Ljubljana, Slovenia
      · Linda Steg, Groningen, Netherlands
      · Martin Strid, Borlange, Sweden
      · Craig Townsend, Montréal, Canada
      · Robert Stussi, Lisbon, Portugal
      · Robert Thaler, Vienna, Austria
      · Geetam Tiwari, New Delhi, India
      · Tony Verelst, Zonhoven, Belgium
      · Vukan Vuchic, Philadelphia, PA
      · Conrad Wagner, Stans, Switzerland
      · Bernie Wagenblast, Cranford, NJ
      · Yngve Westerlund, Gothenburg, Sweden
      · Dave Wetzel, London, UK
      · John Whitelegg, Lancaster, UK
      · Johnny Widen, Lulea, Sweden
      · Peter Wiederkehr, Hamburg
      · Roelof Wittink, Utrecht
      · Kerry Wood, Wellington, New Zealand
      · Guiping Xiao, Beijing. China
      · Muhammad Younus, Karachi, Pakistan
      · Christopher Zegras, Cambridge, MA
      · Sue Zielinski, Toronto, Canada

      Note: By the way, I do not as yet have permissions to use most of these
      · So if you are on the list and agree to participate in
      principal, please send us a quick note with your full title,
      contact information, etc. so that the sponsors can see just how
      distinguished this group is.
      · Participation, by the way, being always a matter of your
      personal convenience with no requirements other than to indicate
      your interest to look in from time to time and if the
      circumstances move you to pitch in with comments and suggestions.
      · Key question: Can we, together, handle such a large list
      and still get a meaningful “Voice”? Answer: We have managed to do
      so on a number of occasions in the past with no great problems. I
      am confident that we can to it now.

      Next steps with this working list:

      Do you have a nomination for another highly qualified authority/networker
      suitable and ready to help round out this fine list?
      I feel that despite the enormous quality of the group as it stands we
      are still a bit uncreatively short in the following areas: females,
      young people, people with mobility impediments, youth and school
      programs, and people struggling with genius and resolve with rural
      transport, in particular in the poorest parts of the world.
      We also could use more “point expertise” in the following areas:
      local government, land use planning, road pricing and economic
      instruments, human powered transport, local government and decision
      making, public space management, access for people with mobility
      impediments, techniques of low cost infrastructure modification,
      transport/environment interface, electronic substitutes for physical
      movement, behavioral psychology, public administration, economics,
      sociology, social work, law enforcement and policing, new techniques
      of micro-modeling, public outreach, genuinely participatory planning,
      new media, and the list goes on.
      Disaster relief
      One technology based area that needs further definition and support
      is new forms of shared transport better adapted to the public’s
      demands in the 21st century, including those which offer ‘car like’
      or better mobility, with much more emphasis on the interface with
      mobile telephony, taxis and paratransit,
      Another importance vector to be brought in here: non-transport uses
      and users of the road and supporting infrastructure: peddlers, window
      shoppers, playing children, people meeting and talking, beggars,
      lonely people, street people (homeless) and once again the list goes
      Finally, we could use a few more mayors and local leaders, who are
      after all among the defining forces for decision and change in the

      How is the proposed process going to work? (Draft notes)

      · Further background on our proposed collective
      contribution to this potentially important project is being
      drafted and will be available shortly. (Draft notes follow below
      which are intended shortly to provide a fuller view of what we
      have in mind here.)
      Notes on the Third Voice Panel/Nominations:
      · This panel does however, at least I hope, have a very
      definite common orientating – which is to sustainable development
      and social justice. And sustainable development, just to be sure
      that we are very clear on this, is not something that we can put
      on the back burner and wait for another day. It’s 2005 and
      sustainability requires immediate, priority attention. It is not
      a luxury. It is an essential and a central priority.
      · Each of these people is a considerable personality in
      her/his own right, highly respected, known for the quality and
      independence of their views, and their brains, energy,
      accomplishments, long term commitment and ethics.
      · They have very different backgrounds, experience, areas
      of expertise, and at times even visions of their sector and the
      future. To this extent they complement and enhance each other by
      their very differentness.
      · These people understand that the task of making their
      voices heard in a world in which old ideas and practices often
      continue to hold the stage is not an easy one, and that success
      depends on their ability to deal with the challenges. They are
      accustomed to arguing their case in the face of considerable
      opposition and indifference, but they also are for the most part
      world level experts in listening (not always a strong point in a
      sector long dominated by people who had decided what was going to
      be best for the others).
      · Each fully understands the full remit and complexity of
      the sector, and the fact that policies there must stretch far
      beyond the usual transport remit.
      · They provide between them coverage of and sensitivity to
      the full reach of the complex interface between transport and its
      greater context. Important since well more than half the
      decisions and actions that need to be motivated to move toward a
      better transportation system come in fact from outside the
      traditional transport nexus.
      · Tone of the exchanges: Informed, exploratory, caring,
      disputatious, and respectful (even when it hurts)
      · Here by way of quick example are some of the fields they
      bring into the decision nexus, in addition to the more
      conventional transportation, engineering, planning, etc. skills:
      Land use planning, electronic substitutes for physical movement,
      human powered transport, local government and decision making,
      public space management, access for E&H, transport/environment
      interface, behavioral psychology, public administration,
      economics, law, policing, new techniques of micro-modeling, public
      outreach, genuinely participatory planning, much more emphasis on
      the interface with mobile telephony, new media, and the list goes
      · The international coverage of the group is exemplary.
      · We are making a special effort to secure a much higher
      proportion of female members than normally encountered in
      transport circles (notoriously male dominated... and that is a
      good part of their problem). As of end 2004 we were at about 15%.
      We have to do better.
      · There are a fair number of young people – but we can try
      to do better.
      · Another thing they have in common, a word that we do not
      hear all that often in the traditional transportation decision
      dialogues, is compassion. Important word.
      · In some cases these individuals do have an institutional
      affiliation, in most cases institutions and NGOs which are well
      known for their independence of views. Moreover we have seen in
      virtually all cases over the years, these particular people have
      meticulously preserved their independent point of view and are
      given over to plain speaking and not varnishing or projection of a
      specific interest or point of view. In short, they are thoroughly
      · In this context, the list is actually considerable
      longer than what you see here. In the interest of economy and
      efficiency we have made a practice of naming just one person per
      group or working cluster, in the knowledge that each will in turn
      work to ensure the participation of the others in their grouping.
      · At the outset I had been targeting a considerably
      shorter list, but as a result of the feedback received in the last
      days from our lists and as the concept of what we perhaps should
      be targeting to do in this case, I became aware that it was going
      to be necessary to reach out in order to make sure that the full
      complexity and variety of the challenges of sustainable transport
      are properly covered. In the event, I see this as a dynamic, ever
      evolving group.
      · I have decided (unless pushed to the contrary) to omit
      from this list all people with strong bureaucratic, institutional
      and economic ties and interests, and specifically proponents of
      unproven technologies and major infrastructure developments that
      are not fully and assiduously cross-checked with the full range of
      sustainability criteria).
      · I intend to propose that they
      invite the WBCSD “Sustainable Mobility’ team – or possibly some
      kind of composite voice which brings together the usually well
      orchestrated performances of such important entrenched forces such
      as the automotive and energy industry, and such generally
      concordant groups as the IEA, ECMT, IAA, and the various well
      placed lobbies -- to come in as the third major voice/vision of
      the sector. This means they can cover the interests of the auto
      and transportation industry, very long term stuff, big expensive
      infrastructure projects, the lurch toward things such as the
      hydrogen economy, and their list goes on.

      Draft notes to be incorporated into final piece:

      This will be a moderated debate and sometimes our chair (that’s me until
      we find someone better… which should not be hard) will cut off speakers,
      presenters who in his humble views are taking up too much of our
      valuable time and wondering a bit too far afield from our bottom line.

      Why not bring in here representatives of organizations such as the
      various concerned units of the WBCSD, ECMT, EC, UITP, APTA, World Bank,
      UN ,and the list goes on and on as well as our outstanding individuals?
      Well because we have seen over the years how such people act in these
      circumstances. In truth they of the kinds of divided minds and
      responsibilities that inevitably occur when anyone has to keep weighing
      their personal/professional views on the one hand and what the mother
      organization might have in mind or have to worry about. So we are
      sticking to individuals in this college.

      Out: anything that can be covered by other Voices as they chose:
      unproven systems that require large investments and extensive, expensive
      and inevitably slow new infrastructure development

      All have extensive international experience – especially US and UK,
      Sweden, Germany and a few others in which there are more than one person

      You may wish to note Geographic/city coverage to date: Here is a first
      indication by city name (roughly 90 thus far): Adelaide, Athens,
      Atlanta, Bangkok, Barcelona, Beijing, Beirut, Belleville, Berkeley,
      Berlin, Bilbao, Bogota, Borlange, Boston, Bremen, Brisbane, Bucharest,
      Budapest, Cambridge, Chevy Chase, Colombia, Colombo, Copenhagen, Dorset,
      Dubendorf, Dublin, Eveleigh, Exeter, Gothenburg, Groningen, Hanoi,
      Harare, Havana, Helsinki, Kanagawa , Karachi, Katmandu, Kuala Lumpur,
      Kyoto, Lancaster, Le Vesinet, Leeds, Lima, Lisbonne, Ljubljana, London,
      Los Angeles, Lulea, Maribor, Mississauga, Monaco, Montréal, New Delhi,
      New York, Hamburg, Ottawa, Paramus, Paris, Perth, Philadelphia,
      Portland, Porto Alegre, Potenza, Prague, Pretoria, Pune, Quezon City,
      Reykjavik, Rome, Roskilde, Saint Louis, San Francisco, Scariff,
      Singapore, Stans, Stockholm, Surabaya, Sydney, Tel Aviv, Tokyo, Toronto,
      Utrecht, Victoria, Vienna, Warsaw, Washington D.C., Wellington,
      Wuppertal, Zapopan/Jalisco, Zonhoven

      The New Mobility/World Transport Agenda
      Consult at: http://NewMobiity.org

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor