HIGHEST PRIORITY: Post-Tsunami rebuilding - the role of sustainable mobility proponents

  • EcoPlan, Paris
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 29, 2004

      Wednesday, December 29, 2004, Paris, France, Europe

      Dear Friends and Colleagues,

      In the wake of the current tragic events in the regions affected by Tsunami, and once the terrible immediate health and basic needs of these areas and their people have started to be met, it is going to be time to take a number of decisions about rebuilding in all those impacted areas.  And at the center of this rebuilding will be the transportation sector.  Since this is the case, and since it opens up some unique opportunities in terms of sustainability, I invite us to think about it together.

      My question to you all here is: might this be a unique opportunity for us to make the voice of sustainable transportation and social justice heard once and for all as it should be?  There are at least three things about this approach that recommend it strongly in the immediate situation and the after-math.  First, sustainability proponents are used to figuring out how to get the most mileage, the most sustainable mobility bang per buck, out of the infrastructure and related realties and constraints before them. Second, they are accustomed to dealing with the physical mobility issues and needs in a far more resource and environmentally efficient manner.  And third, the sustainability approach to defining and meeting the needs of people is based on an active citizenry, surely a precondition of the rapid progress which is needed at this time. So for all these reasons, the sustainability approach should be at the center of the transport policy and practice debate and decisions that must now follow.

      Here’s our bottom line: The proponents of sustainable development now have a unique opportunity to influence transportation decisions and the specific hands-on programs and measure that follow, not only in the affected tragic regions but also world wide – since anything of real value that is accomplished there is going to gain world wide attention.

      But are we as yet geared up really to make our voices heard at this time?  It is my view that despite the growing body of expertise and accomplishment, the proponents of sustainable transportation or new mobility are still very much a minority and until now not able to get in there and really change the problematique and the practices when it comes to investing money and making the big decisions which shape the system.

      In this context, I would like to propose here that those of you who have not as yet had an opportunity to look over our proposal for sustainable transportation as a “Third Voice” in the coming high profile international project, might wish to check out the following latest draft of the proposal in process – with a view to seeing if anything here can be used or built on to create the higher profile ‘voice’ that is going to be needed in the months and several years immediately ahead to make the wise decisions that are going to be essential if the rebuilding efforts are to be accomplished with maximum speed and best overall fit into the communities and people directly affected.

      To conclude: It may well be that my proposal that follows here is not the best way for us to join voices to see what can be done now to influence these important decisions that are going to be make in our beloved sector. No problem.  Toss it out the window, and come in here with your suggestions.  The issues are so very important, the opportunity so unique,  and the decision window likely to be open for such a short period, that we really need to seize this opportunity to be every bit as smart and responsible as we can be.

      I hope that this will set off better thoughts and a course of action that mobilizes as many of us as possible.

      Eric Britton

      “Principal Voices”- Sustainable Transportation as a Third Voice

      Principal Voices 2005: The immediate objective of this cooperative sustainability initiative is to see what we can do to create and make heard a much-needed balancing “Voice” for the transportation component of the potentially important Principal Voices (www.PrincipalVoices.com) project over 2005 though the participation of an ‘invisible college’ of knowledgeable, independent, world level proponents of sustainable transport in all its many aspects (or New Mobility if you like). By way of quick reminder, here is what the sponsors say about themselves: “Principal Voices is an international project aimed at provoking discussion on some of the more compelling challenges confronting our world today. Over the next 12 months TIME, FORTUNE and CNN, in association with Shell, will be presenting a series of videos, articles and round-table discussions. Themes covered will include the environment, business innovation, economic development and transport.

      Three Voice Proposal: We are proposing to work with this international forum to add a Third Voice in the year-long discussions, balancing in our view . . .

      (1)   The long established defining Voice of transportation expertise in design, engineering, construction, operation, finance, etc., that has essentially dominated and defined the transportation systems of the 20th century and still remains the main operational paradigm in most places (and in any event a critical central component of the next generation transportation paradigm that must be able to call in these skills and experience). This Voice is at present most ably represented by Mr. Ellatuvalapil Sreedharan one of India's greatest civil engineers, the architect of the supposedly unbuildable Konkan Railway linking Mumbai and Mangalore, and, more recently, designer of the Delhi Metro system (See http://www.principalvoices.com/voices/elattuvalapil-sreedharan-bio.html for more)

      (2)   A parallel but in many ways separate but powerful in its own right financial, institutional, political, and industrial lobby “Voice”, a good example of which can be seen with the WBCSD’s 2004 “Meeting the Challenges to Sustainability” report (see http://www.ecoplan.org/wtpp/general/wbcsd.htm for report and some context) that has been actively supported by this currently formidable element of the transportation establishment.  It is our view that a lively, open, high profile public dialogue between these three rather contrasting Voices could be a major accomplishment of the sponsors.

      Third Voice? Who are these people? No more no less than the hundred-plus individuals and independent committed groups who in my experience are among the leading proponents of the kind of transportation that is the most important of all for out planet and our times: sustainable transportation.  This approach to understanding and deciding about mobility matters is altogether on another plane from the older supply-oriented, specific, circumscribed problem solving approach that has long been the dominant mode of thinking, policy and investment in the past, a time incidentally when the ‘problematique’ of transportation was vastly different from that which we face today (See Todd Litman’s recent "The Future Isn't What It Used To Be" at http://www.vtpi.org/future.pdf for a good overview on this).  This new and far broader approach is the next step in a cumulative long run process of intellectual, economic, social, environmental and political evolution: the world transport policy and practice paradigm of the 21st century.  If I had to turn the leading edge of transportation policy and decision making over to anyone, it would be to these people and their international colleagues, collaborators and networks in turn. And that of course in parallel with the technical and other proven skills and virtuosity of our first Voice representatives.

      The Third Voice List in Process: Here’s the latest cut of our wide open working list for your comment and suggestions - see below for further background and suggestions concerning the further development of this important list.  (Incidentally if you wish to know more about any of them until full profiles become available in each case, a visit to Google will serve you well in almost all cases.)

      ·         A. Ables, Bangkok, Thailand

      ·         Alan AtKisson, Stockholm, Sweden

      ·         Ayad Altaai, Baghdad, Iraq

      ·         Oscar Aguilar Juárez, Zapopan, Jalisco, Mexico

      ·         Paul A. Barter, Sustran, Singapore

      ·         Denis Baupin, City of Paris, France

      ·         Margaret Bell, UTSG, Leeds, UK

      ·         Reinie Biesenbach, Council for Scientific and Industrial Research/ Global Research Alliance (GRA), Pretoria, South Africa

      ·         Donald Brackenbush, Los Angeles, CA

      ·         Christ Bradshaw, Ottawa, Canada

      ·         Eric Bruun, Philadelphia, PA

      ·         Enrique Calderon, Barcelona, Spain

      ·         Sally Campbell, Eveleigh, Australia

      ·         Carl Cederschiold, Former mayor of Stockholm, Sweden

      ·         Robert Cervero, Berkeley, CA

      ·         Phil Charles, Brisbane, Australia

      ·         Robin Chase, Boston, MA

      ·         Carlos Cordero Velásquez, Lima, Peru

      ·         Al Cormier, Mississauga, Canada

      ·         Wendell Cox, St. Louis, Mo.

      ·         Philippe Crist, Saint Germain en Laye, France

      ·         Ranjith de Silva, Colombo, Ceylon

      ·         Carlos Dora, Rome, Italy

      ·         Bernard Fautrier, Monaco

      ·         Anwar Fazal, Kuala Lumpur, Maylasia

      ·         Maria Josefina Figueroa, Roskilde, Denmark

      ·         Duarte de Souza Rosa Filho, Porto Alegre, Brazil

      ·         Brendan Finn, Singapore

      ·         Priyanthi Fernando, Executive Secretary, International Forum for Rural Transport Development (IFRTD).

      ·         Karl Fjellstrom, Surabaya, Indonesia

      ·         Rossella Forenza, Potenza, Italy

      ·         Jan Gehl, Copenhagen, Denmark

      ·         Michael Glotz-Richter, Bremen, Germany

      ·         Phil Goodwin, Exeter, UK

      ·         Ingibjorg Guolaugsdottir, Reykjavik, Iceland

      ·         Peter Hall, Berkeley, USA

      ·         Sylvia Harms, Dubendorf, Switzerland

      ·         Roger Higman, Friends of the Earth, London, UK

      ·         John. Holtzclaw, Sierra Club, San Francisco, CA

      ·         Walter Hook, Institute for Transportation and Development Policy, New York

      ·         Nguyen Trong Thong, Hanoi, Viet Nam

      ·         Ursula Huws, Analytica, UK

      ·         Taiichi Inoue, Tokyo, Japan

      ·         Virgil Ioanid, Bucarest, Romania

      ·         Jane Jacobs, Toronto, Canada

      ·         Jiri Jiracek, Prague, Czech Republic

      ·         Dave Holladay, Glasgow, Scotland

      ·         Per Homann Jespersen, Roskilde, Denmark

      • Sharif A Kafi, Dhaka, Bangladesh

      ·         Richard Katzev, Portland

      ·         Isam Kaysi, Beirut

      ·         Fred Kent, Partners for Public Spaces, NYC

      ·         Jeff Kenworthy, Perth, Australia

      ·         Gadi Kfir, Tel Aviv, Israel

      ·         Adam Kowalewski, Warsaw, Poland

      ·         Charles Kunaka, Harare

      ·         Stefan Langeveld, Amsterdam, Netherlands

      ·         Agnes Lehuen, Le Vesinet, France

      ·         Corinne Lepage, Paris, France

      ·         Graham Lightfoot, Scariff, Ireland

      ·         Todd Litman, Victoria, Canada

      ·         Stefan Lorentzson, Gothenburg. Sweden

      ·         Harun al-Rasyid Sorah Lubis, Bandung, Indonesia

      ·         Kenneth Orski, Washington, DC

      ·         Dojie Manahan, Quezon City, Philippines

      ·         Naoko Matsumoto, Kanagawa, Japan

      ·         Suzanne May, London, UK

      ·         Segundo Medína Hernández, Havana, Cuba

      • Kisan Mehta, Bombay, India

      ·         Michael Meyer, Atlanta, GA

      ·         Nobuo Mishima, Kyoto, Japan

      ·         Dinesh Mohan, New Delhi, India

      ·         Mikel Murga, Bilbao, Spain

      ·         Peter Newman, Sydney, Australia

      ·         Simon Norton, Cambridge, UK

      ·         Margaret O'Mahony, Dublin, Ireland

      ·         Richard Ongjerth, Budapest, Hungary

      ·         Carlos F. Pardo, Bogota, Colombia

      ·         Sujit Patwardhan, Pune, India

      ·         Enrique Peñalosa, Bogota, <

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

    • tara.bartee@dot.state.fl.us
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 29, 2004
        Eric;

        You are correct that it will be incredibly difficult to get heard.

        I took part in the disaster response in Florida to our four hurricanes this
        year. I can attest that the hectic nature of response makes it very
        difficult to deal with the simplest of issues, much less real changes in
        infrastructure. The disparity in resources makes me think that whatever
        difficulties we had here are absolutely nothing compared to those in the
        path of the tsunami.

        The pressure to get things going again as fast as possible will be
        incredible. It will be essential to get transportation going first, or the
        rest of the relief won't be able get through. Time to rethink HOW things
        will be rebuilt will be an unbelievable luxury. What gets accomplished in
        the initial response has a serious impact on what can be accomplished in
        the ongoing recovery stage. The existing system will have to be replaced,
        perhaps with incremental improvements.

        A better strategy might be to monitor the response for sustainability
        issues. Afterwards, make cogent, specific recommendations to international
        disaster response and recovery organizations on planning in advance to
        correct "mistakes" when a disaster presents an "opportunity". For
        example, in much of the flood prone US, property owners are advised that in
        the next "event" they will not get federal disaster assistance to rebuild
        in the flood plain. Such aid will be available only for relocation and
        building anew on higher ground. Thus incremental restructuring occurs.

        The URL below takes you to an article about some of the advance planning we
        do in Florida.

        http://www.govpro.com/ASP/ViewArticle.asp?strArticleId=104275

        And this takes you to some planning for the next disaster.

        http://www.floridadisaster.org/recovery/

        Tara Bartee
        Public Transit Office FDOT
        Voice 850-414-4520
        FAX 850-414-4508
        E-Mail tara.bartee@...

        "EcoPlan, Paris"
        <eric.britton@eco
        plan.org> To
        <WorldTransport@yahoogroups.com>
        12/29/2004 08:00 cc
        AM "'UTSG'" <UTSG@...>
        Subject
        [New Mobility/WorldTransport Forum]
        Please respond to HIGHEST PRIORITY: Post-Tsunami
        WorldTransport@ya rebuilding - the role of
        hoogroups.com sustainable mobility proponents

[...]

        · Enrique Peñalosa, Bogota, Colombia
        · Maria Elvira Perez, Colombia
        · Rudolf Petersen, Wuppertal, Germany
        · Stephen Plowden, London, UK
        · Robert Poole, Reason Institute, Los Angeles, CA
        · Danijel Rebolj , Maribor, Slovenia
        · Ernst Reichenbach, GTZ, Katmandu
        · Michael A. Replogle, New York
        · Gabriel Roth, Chevy Chase
        · Preston Schiller, Huxley College of the Environment,
        Bellingham, WA
        · Lee Schipper, EMBARQ/World Resources Institute
        · Bodo Schwieger, Berlin, Germany
        · Derek Scrafton, Adelaide, Australia
        · Dimitris Sermpis, Athens, Greece
        · Leena Silfverberg, Helsinki, Finland
        · Robert Smith, Dorset, UK
        · Ivan Stanic, Ljubljana, Slovenia
        · Linda Steg, Groningen, Netherlands
        · Martin Strid, Borlange, Sweden
        · Craig Townsend, Montréal, Canada
        · Robert Stussi, Lisbon, Portugal
        · Robert Thaler, Vienna, Austria
        · Geetam Tiwari, New Delhi, India
        · Tony Verelst, Zonhoven, Belgium
        · Vukan Vuchic, Philadelphia, PA
        · Conrad Wagner, Stans, Switzerland
        · Bernie Wagenblast, Cranford, NJ
        · Yngve Westerlund, Gothenburg, Sweden
        · Dave Wetzel, London, UK
        · John Whitelegg, Lancaster, UK
        · Johnny Widen, Lulea, Sweden
        · Peter Wiederkehr, Hamburg
        · Roelof Wittink, Utrecht
        · Kerry Wood, Wellington, New Zealand
        · Guiping Xiao, Beijing. China
        · Muhammad Younus, Karachi, Pakistan
        · Christopher Zegras, Cambridge, MA
        · Sue Zielinski, Toronto, Canada

        Note: By the way, I do not as yet have permissions to use most of these
        names.
        · So if you are on the list and agree to participate in
        principal, please send us a quick note with your full title,
        contact information, etc. so that the sponsors can see just how
        distinguished this group is.
        · Participation, by the way, being always a matter of your
        personal convenience with no requirements other than to indicate
        your interest to look in from time to time and if the
        circumstances move you to pitch in with comments and suggestions.
        · Key question: Can we, together, handle such a large list
        and still get a meaningful “Voice”? Answer: We have managed to do
        so on a number of occasions in the past with no great problems. I
        am confident that we can to it now.

        Next steps with this working list:

        Do you have a nomination for another highly qualified authority/networker
        suitable and ready to help round out this fine list?
        I feel that despite the enormous quality of the group as it stands we
        are still a bit uncreatively short in the following areas: females,
        young people, people with mobility impediments, youth and school
        programs, and people struggling with genius and resolve with rural
        transport, in particular in the poorest parts of the world.
        We also could use more “point expertise” in the following areas:
        local government, land use planning, road pricing and economic
        instruments, human powered transport, local government and decision
        making, public space management, access for people with mobility
        impediments, techniques of low cost infrastructure modification,
        transport/environment interface, electronic substitutes for physical
        movement, behavioral psychology, public administration, economics,
        sociology, social work, law enforcement and policing, new techniques
        of micro-modeling, public outreach, genuinely participatory planning,
        new media, and the list goes on.
        Disaster relief
        One technology based area that needs further definition and support
        is new forms of shared transport better adapted to the public’s
        demands in the 21st century, including those which offer ‘car like’
        or better mobility, with much more emphasis on the interface with
        mobile telephony, taxis and paratransit,
        Another importance vector to be brought in here: non-transport uses
        and users of the road and supporting infrastructure: peddlers, window
        shoppers, playing children, people meeting and talking, beggars,
        lonely people, street people (homeless) and once again the list goes
        on.
        Finally, we could use a few more mayors and local leaders, who are
        after all among the defining forces for decision and change in the
        sector.

        How is the proposed process going to work? (Draft notes)

        · Further background on our proposed collective
        contribution to this potentially important project is being
        drafted and will be available shortly. (Draft notes follow below
        which are intended shortly to provide a fuller view of what we
        have in mind here.)
        Notes on the Third Voice Panel/Nominations:
        · This panel does however, at least I hope, have a very
        definite common orientating – which is to sustainable development
        and social justice. And sustainable development, just to be sure
        that we are very clear on this, is not something that we can put
        on the back burner and wait for another day. It’s 2005 and
        sustainability requires immediate, priority attention. It is not
        a luxury. It is an essential and a central priority.
        · Each of these people is a considerable personality in
        her/his own right, highly respected, known for the quality and
        independence of their views, and their brains, energy,
        accomplishments, long term commitment and ethics.
        · They have very different backgrounds, experience, areas
        of expertise, and at times even visions of their sector and the
        future. To this extent they complement and enhance each other by
        their very differentness.
        · These people understand that the task of making their
        voices heard in a world in which old ideas and practices often
        continue to hold the stage is not an easy one, and that success
        depends on their ability to deal with the challenges. They are
        accustomed to arguing their case in the face of considerable
        opposition and indifference, but they also are for the most part
        world level experts in listening (not always a strong point in a
        sector long dominated by people who had decided what was going to
        be best for the others).
        · Each fully understands the full remit and complexity of
        the sector, and the fact that policies there must stretch far
        beyond the usual transport remit.
        · They provide between them coverage of and sensitivity to
        the full reach of the complex interface between transport and its
        greater context. Important since well more than half the
        decisions and actions that need to be motivated to move toward a
        better transportation system come in fact from outside the
        traditional transport nexus.
        · Tone of the exchanges: Informed, exploratory, caring,
        disputatious, and respectful (even when it hurts)
        · Here by way of quick example are some of the fields they
        bring into the decision nexus, in addition to the more
        conventional transportation, engineering, planning, etc. skills:
        Land use planning, electronic substitutes for physical movement,
        human powered transport, local government and decision making,
        public space management, access for E&H, transport/environment
        interface, behavioral psychology, public administration,
        economics, law, policing, new techniques of micro-modeling, public
        outreach, genuinely participatory planning, much more emphasis on
        the interface with mobile telephony, new media, and the list goes
        on.
        · The international coverage of the group is exemplary.
        · We are making a special effort to secure a much higher
        proportion of female members than normally encountered in
        transport circles (notoriously male dominated... and that is a
        good part of their problem). As of end 2004 we were at about 15%.
        We have to do better.
        · There are a fair number of young people – but we can try
        to do better.
        · Another thing they have in common, a word that we do not
        hear all that often in the traditional transportation decision
        dialogues, is compassion. Important word.
        · In some cases these individuals do have an institutional
        affiliation, in most cases institutions and NGOs which are well
        known for their independence of views. Moreover we have seen in
        virtually all cases over the years, these particular people have
        meticulously preserved their independent point of view and are
        given over to plain speaking and not varnishing or projection of a
        specific interest or point of view. In short, they are thoroughly
        ethical.
        · In this context, the list is actually considerable
        longer than what you see here. In the interest of economy and
        efficiency we have made a practice of naming just one person per
        group or working cluster, in the knowledge that each will in turn
        work to ensure the participation of the others in their grouping.
        Also:
        · At the outset I had been targeting a considerably
        shorter list, but as a result of the feedback received in the last
        days from our lists and as the concept of what we perhaps should
        be targeting to do in this case, I became aware that it was going
        to be necessary to reach out in order to make sure that the full
        complexity and variety of the challenges of sustainable transport
        are properly covered. In the event, I see this as a dynamic, ever
        evolving group.
        · I have decided (unless pushed to the contrary) to omit
        from this list all people with strong bureaucratic, institutional
        and economic ties and interests, and specifically proponents of
        unproven technologies and major infrastructure developments that
        are not fully and assiduously cross-checked with the full range of
        sustainability criteria).
        · I intend to propose that they
        invite the WBCSD “Sustainable Mobility’ team – or possibly some
        kind of composite voice which brings together the usually well
        orchestrated performances of such important entrenched forces such
        as the automotive and energy industry, and such generally
        concordant groups as the IEA, ECMT, IAA, and the various well
        placed lobbies -- to come in as the third major voice/vision of
        the sector. This means they can cover the interests of the auto
        and transportation industry, very long term stuff, big expensive
        infrastructure projects, the lurch toward things such as the
        hydrogen economy, and their list goes on.

        Draft notes to be incorporated into final piece:

        This will be a moderated debate and sometimes our chair (that’s me until
        we find someone better… which should not be hard) will cut off speakers,
        presenters who in his humble views are taking up too much of our
        valuable time and wondering a bit too far afield from our bottom line.

        Why not bring in here representatives of organizations such as the
        various concerned units of the WBCSD, ECMT, EC, UITP, APTA, World Bank,
        UN ,and the list goes on and on as well as our outstanding individuals?
        Well because we have seen over the years how such people act in these
        circumstances. In truth they of the kinds of divided minds and
        responsibilities that inevitably occur when anyone has to keep weighing
        their personal/professional views on the one hand and what the mother
        organization might have in mind or have to worry about. So we are
        sticking to individuals in this college.

        Out: anything that can be covered by other Voices as they chose:
        unproven systems that require large investments and extensive, expensive
        and inevitably slow new infrastructure development

        All have extensive international experience – especially US and UK,
        Sweden, Germany and a few others in which there are more than one person
        cited.

        You may wish to note Geographic/city coverage to date: Here is a first
        indication by city name (roughly 90 thus far): Adelaide, Athens,
        Atlanta, Bangkok, Barcelona, Beijing, Beirut, Belleville, Berkeley,
        Berlin, Bilbao, Bogota, Borlange, Boston, Bremen, Brisbane, Bucharest,
        Budapest, Cambridge, Chevy Chase, Colombia, Colombo, Copenhagen, Dorset,
        Dubendorf, Dublin, Eveleigh, Exeter, Gothenburg, Groningen, Hanoi,
        Harare, Havana, Helsinki, Kanagawa , Karachi, Katmandu, Kuala Lumpur,
        Kyoto, Lancaster, Le Vesinet, Leeds, Lima, Lisbonne, Ljubljana, London,
        Los Angeles, Lulea, Maribor, Mississauga, Monaco, Montréal, New Delhi,
        New York, Hamburg, Ottawa, Paramus, Paris, Perth, Philadelphia,
        Portland, Porto Alegre, Potenza, Prague, Pretoria, Pune, Quezon City,
        Reykjavik, Rome, Roskilde, Saint Louis, San Francisco, Scariff,
        Singapore, Stans, Stockholm, Surabaya, Sydney, Tel Aviv, Tokyo, Toronto,
        Utrecht, Victoria, Vienna, Warsaw, Washington D.C., Wellington,
        Wuppertal, Zapopan/Jalisco, Zonhoven

        The New Mobility/World Transport Agenda
        Consult at: http://NewMobiity.org

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor