RE: [New Mobility/WorldTransport Forum] Principal Voices sustainabilityinitiative - Interim report and invitation for comment

  • michaelm@myoffice.net.au
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 26, 2004
      Dear Eric and all ...

      This is a very important and interesting initiative ... and in my view, it
      should be strongly supported.

      A look at the "Principal Voices" website emphasises the importance.

      But as I have raised previously, there is a need to continue to publicly
      (re)visit the conversation, discourse and/or debate about the multiple
      meaning(s) and understanding(s) of "sustainable transport" and of
      car-dependency (the million 'avoidable' deaths a year luxury!) for much the
      same reasons that I assume you have suggested in the following ie that
      "sustainable development ... is not something that we can put on the
      backburner and wait for another day."

      As you note below,

      · The objective in this specific case is to see what we can do to
      create a much-needed balancing "Voice" for the transportation component of
      the potentially important Principal Voices project over 2005: a sort of
      "invisible college" of knowledgeable, world level proponents of sustainable
      transport (or New Mobility if you like).

      · This panel does however, at least I hope, have a very definite
      bent "which is to sustainable development and social justice" and
      sustainable development by the way is not something that we can put on the
      back burner and wait for another day

      I must say that I am concerned that issues such as the (assumed?) continued
      and increasing reliance on economic imperatives for global freight and
      tourism movement and the social consequences whether positive or negative
      (eg in Brazil) of trying to address the reduction in car-dependency seem to
      be escaping a sufficiently critical lens while the "sustainable modes of
      transport" walking and cycling (and the equivalents in human and wind
      powered water and perhaps even air craft) and simple indicators such as the
      implications of providing the increased car parking in urban areas seem to
      not even be mentioned.

      I recall a book "Design for the Real World" (?) which raised and attempted
      to address many of these and similar types of global social justice,
      appropriate consumption, and development issues in (industrial?) design
      terms some 30-40 or more years ago.

      Do we need to discuss and perhaps begin to resolve what "the real world" is
      or might need to be in terms of "sustainable" transport and development
      across the globe in order to construct a more strategically and politically
      pragmatic conceptual picture of "sustainable transport" ?

      Michael Yeates
      Brisbane
      Australia