Principal Voices sustainability initiative - Interim report and invitation for comment

  • EcoPlan, Paris
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 25, 2004

      Saturday, December 25, 2004, Paris, France, Europe

      Dear Brendan, Carlos, Craig, Dave, Eric, Kirk, Mikel, Peter, Preston, Sujit, Todd, Vittal and others of you who were so kind as to get in touch with your ideas and reactions:

      Thanks for those excellent words and suggestions of yours. They have struck home and have my full attention (as I hope you will see here). In the meantime, here is my next-stage though still provisional working “short” list for the proposed Principal Voices “Sustainable Transportation Invisible College” (yes, I know, awful phrase and I shall have to do better).  A few quick words of introduction before we get to the list itself:

      Who are these people? No more no less than the hundred or so individuals on this planet who in my view are among the leading Voices of the kind of transportation that is the most important of all, sustainable transportation.  This approach to understanding and deciding about transportation is altogether on another plane from the old supply-oriented approach that has long been the dominant mode of thinking, policy and investment in the past.  It is the next step in a cumulative long run process of intellectual, economic, social, environmental and political maturity: the world transport policy and practice of the 21st century.  If I had to turn the leading edge of transportation policy and decision making over to anyone, it would be to these people and their international colleagues, collaborators and network in turn.

      ·        The objective in this specific case is to see what we can do to create a much-needed balancing “Voice” for the transportation component of the potentially important Principal Voices project over 2005: a sort of ‘invisible college’ of knowledgeable, world level proponents of sustainable transport (or New Mobility if you like).

      ·         This panel does however, at least I hope, have a very definite bent – which is to sustainable development and social justice – and sustainable development by the way is not something that we can put on the back burner and wait for another day

      ·         Each of these people is a considerable personality in her/his own right, highly respected, known for the quality and independence of their views, and their brains, energy, accomplishments, long term commitment and ethics.

      ·         They have very different backgrounds, experience, areas of expertise, and at times even visions of their sector and the future. To this extent they complement and enhance each other by their very differentness.

      ·         These people understand that the task of making their voices heard is not an easy one, and that success depends on their ability to deal with the challenges.  They are accustomed to arguing their case in the face of considerable opposition and indifference, but they also are for the most part world level experts in listening (not always a strong point in a sector long dominated by people who had decided what was going to be best for the others).

      ·         Each fully understands the full remit and complexity of the sector, and the fact that policies there must stretch far beyond the usual transport remit.

      ·         They provide between them coverage of and sensitivity to the full reach of the complex interface between transport and its greater context.  Important since well more than half the decisions and actions that need to be motivated to move toward a better transportation system come in fact from outside the traditional transport nexus.

      ·         Here by way of quick example are some of the fields they bring into the decision nexus, in addition to the more conventional transportation, engineering, planning, etc. skills: Land use planning, electronic substitutes for physical movement, human powered transport, public space management, access for E&H, transport/environment interface, behavioral psychology, public administration, economics, law, policing, new techniques of micro-modeling, public outreach, genuinely participatory planning, much more emphasis on the interface with mobile telephony, new media, and the list goes on.

      ·         The international coverage is exemplary.

      ·         There are a fair number of young people – but we can try to do better.

      ·         Another thing they have in common, a word that we do not hear all that often in the traditional transportation decision dialogues, is compassion.  Important word.

      ·         In some cases these individuals do have an institutional affiliation, but what we have seen in virtually all cases, these particular people have meticulously preserved their independent point of view and are given over to plain speaking and not varnishing or projection of a specific interest or point of view.  In short, they are thoroughly ethical.

      ·         By way of quick reminder, here is what Principal Voices say about themselves: www.principalvoices.com -  is an international project aimed at provoking discussion on some of the more compelling challenges confronting our world today. Over the next 12 months TIME, FORTUNE and CNN, in association with Shell, will be presenting a series of videos, articles and round-table discussions. Themes covered will include the environment, business innovation, economic development and transport.

      ·         Further background on our proposed reshaping (gate crash) of this project is being drafted and will be available shortly.  (Draft notes follow below which are intended shortly to provide a fuller view of what we have in mind here.)

      ·         At the outset I had been targeting a considerably shorter list, but as a result of the feedback received in the last days from our lists and as the concept of what we perhaps should be targeting to do in this case, I became aware that it was going to be necessary to reach out in order to make sure that the full complexity and variety of the challenges of sustainable transport are properly covered. In the event, I see this as a dynamic, ever evolving group.

      ·        We have made a special effort to secure a much higher proportion of female members than is normally encountered in transport circles (notoriously male dominated... and that is a good part of their problem).

      ·         I have decided (unless pushed to the contrary) to omit from this list all people with strong bureaucratic, institutional and economic ties and interests, and specifically proponents of unproven technologies and major infrastructure developments that are not fully and assiduously cross-checked with the full range of sustainability criteria).

      ·         I intend to suggest that they invite the WBCSD “Sustainable Mobility’ team to come in as the third major voice/vision of the sector.  This means they can cover the interests of the auto and transportation industry, very long term stuff, big projects and their list goes on.

      ·         And by the way, I do not as yet have permissions to use most of these names.  If you are on the list and agree to participate in principal (participation being always a matter of your personal convenience with no requirements other than to indicate your interest to look in from time to time and if the circumstances move you to pitch in with comments and suggestions).

      Here’s the latest cut of my working list for your comment and suggestions.

      ·         A. Ables, Bangkok

      ·         Ayad Altaai, Baghdad

      ·         Oscar Aguilar Juárez, Zapopan, Jalisco

      ·        Paul A. Barter, Singapore

      ·         Denis Baupin, Paris

      ·         Margaret Bell, Leeds

      ·         Reinie Biesenbach, Pretoria

      ·         Donald Brackenbush, Los Angeles

      ·         Chris Bradshaw, Ottawa

      ·         Eric Bruun, Philadpelhpia

      ·         Enrique Calderon, Barcelona

      ·         Sally Campbell, Eveleigh

      ·         Carl Cederschiold, Stockholm

      ·         Robert Cervero, Berkeley

      ·         Phil Charles, Brisbane

      ·         Robin Chase, Boston

      ·         Carlos Cordero Velásquez, Lima

      ·         Al Cormier, Mississauga

      ·         Wendell Cox, Belleville ????

      ·         Philippe Crist, Saint Germain en Laye

      ·         Ranjith de Silva, Colombo

      ·         Carlos Dora, Rome

      ·         Bernard Fautrier, Monaco

      ·         Anwar Fazal, Kuala Lumpur

      ·         Maria Josefina Figueroa, Roskilde

      ·         Duarte de Souza Rosa Filho, Porto Alegre

      ·         Brendan Finn, Singapore

      ·         Karl Fjellstrom, Surabaya

      ·         Rossella Forenza, Potenza

      ·         Jan Gehl, Copenhagen

      ·         Michael Glotz-Richter, Bremen

      ·         Phil Goodwin, Exeter

      ·         Ingibjorg Guolaugsdottir, Reykjavik

      ·         Peter Hall, Berkeley

      ·         Sylvia Harms, Dubendorf

      ·         Roger Higman, London

      ·         John. Holtzclaw, San Francisco

      ·         Nguyen Trong Thong, Hanoi

      ·         Ursula Huws, Analytica

      ·         Taiichi Inoue, Tokyo

      ·         Virgil Ioanid, Bucarest

      ·         Jane Jacobs, Toronto

      ·         Jiri Jiracek, Prague

      ·         Dave Holladay, Glasgow

      ·         Per Homann Jespersen, Roskilde

      ·         Charles Kunaka, Harare

      ·         Richard Katzev, Portland

      ·         Isam Kaysi, Beirut

      ·         Fred Kent, NYC

      ·         Jeff Kenworthy, Perth

      ·         Gadi Kfir, Tel Aviv

      ·         Adam Kowalewski, Warsaw

      ·         Stefan Langeveld, Amsterdam

      ·         Agnes Lehuen, Le Vesinet

      ·         Corinne Lepage, Paris

      ·         Graham Lightfoot, Scariff

      ·         Todd Litman, Victoria

      ·         Stefan Lorentzson, Gothenburg

      ·         Harun al-Rasyid Sorah Lubis, Bandung

      ·         Kenneth Orski, Washington, DC

      ·         Dojie Manahan, Quezon City

      ·         Naoko Matsumoto, Kanagawa

      ·         Suzanne May, London

      ·         Segundo Medína Hernández, Havana

      ·         Michael Meyer, Atlanta

      ·         Nobuo Mishima, Kyoto

      ·         Dinish Mohan, New Delhi

      ·         Mikel Murga, Bilbao