Principal Voices recommendations

  • EcoPlan, Paris
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 23, 2004

      Oops. Good. I got your message(s).

      Therefore, I will be adding the following names as you have suggested to the PV shortlist, each with a few judicious lines to help orient them and hopefully allow them to sort things out for themselves.

      • Derek Scrafton, Adelaide

      • Michael Meyer, Atlanta

      • Mikel Murga, Bilbao

      • Wendell Cox, Belleville, Illinois

      • Enrique Peñalosa, Bogota

      • Martin Strid, Borlange

      • Robin Chase, Boston

      • Jan Gehl, Copenhagen

      • Phil Goodwin, Exeter

      • Yngve Westerlund, Gothenburg

      • John Whitelegg, Lancaster

      • Dave Wetzel, London

      • Robert Poole, Los Angeles

      • Dinish, Mohan, New Delhi

      • Michael A. Replogle, New York

      • Peter Wiederkehr, OECD

      • Corinne Lepage, Paris

      • Denis Baupin, Paris

      • Per Homann Jespersen, Roskilde, DK

      • Jerry Schneider, Seattle

      • Karl Fjellstrom, Surabaya

      • Peter Newman, Sydney

      • Jane Jacobs, Toronto

      • Sue Zielinski, Toronto

      Todd Litman, Victoria

      Ken Orski, Washington, DC

      • Rudolf Petersen, Wuppertal

      Oh dear yes, I realize that (a) this is starting to be unwieldy, but we can leave the sorting to them once they have the full list in front of them. And almost for sure I have missed out on your favorite candidate (maybe you?), but you still can get them on board if you get back to me before the end of the day.   As you can see I am trying to do this too fast, but the clock is ticking.  That said, this gives them quite a fair choice of backgrounds and approaches, right to left, narrow to broad, engineering to public policy, -- which is what we need to bring into this debate -- but I would very much hope that political astuteness and tangible on street accomplishment will be high on their selection criteria.

      Last chance to come in with your recommendations on this.

      Eric Britton

      PS. And yes, it is not only fairer like this, but much more interesting and useful.  I think what they really should consider doing is to create the three Voices, and then have an ‘invisible college’ which brings together whoever of this list might wish to pitch in and at most a handful of others.  Now THAT would be really interesting.  And useful.

    • tara.bartee@dot.state.fl.us
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 5, 2005
        FYI A session on transportation and the tsunami has been added to the
        Transportation Research Board Annual Meeting in Washington, DC.

        See: http://trb.org/news/blurb_detail.asp?id=4530

        2005 TRB 84th Annual Meeting: NEW SESSION! -- Transportation and
        Logistical Challenges Associated with the Tsunami Disaster

        A special session titled “Transportation and Logistical Challenges
        Associated with the Tsunami Disaster” has just been added to the
        program for the TRB 84th Annual Meeting in Washington, D.C.  The
        session will be held in the Blue Room of the Omni Shoreham Hotel on
        Sunday, January 9, at 8:00 p.m.  The session will include invited
        presentations relating to topics such as airlift and sealift of aid and
        relief supplies, including the role of the military, distribution of
        aid and relief supplies once they reach affected countries, challenges
        of rebuilding infrastructure in underdeveloped countries, and the
        impact of the disaster on commercial shipping and global supply
        chains.  This session is open to all who are interested and will
        include discussion of the role TRB, its sponsors, and volunteers can
        play in addressing both short- and long-term challenges associated with
        this disaster.

        Please note that this session is a work in progress.  Check the link to
        session details for the latest information available.

        Tara Bartee
        Public Transit Office FDOT
        Voice 850-414-4520
        FAX 850-414-4508
        E-Mail tara.bartee@...

        "EcoPlan, Paris"
        <eric.britton@eco
        plan.org> To
        <WorldTransport@yahoogroups.com>
        12/23/2004 03:31 cc
        AM
        Subject
        [New Mobility/WorldTransport Forum]
        Please respond to Principal Voices recommendations
        WorldTransport@ya
        hoogroups.com

        The New Mobility/World Transport Agenda
        Consult at: http://NewMobiity.org