Re: [NewMobilityCafe] Taxis at night and safe transport for women.

  • Bina C. Balakrishnan
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 11, 2004
      Hi Dave,

      In Mumbai, almost all hotels, and several restaurants and clubs
      have an arrangement with private taxi operators, and keep their
      phone numbers readily available. These numbers are also available
      with the security personnel at the door of their establishments.
      In the event that a visitor leaving their establishment wishes to
      hire a taxi, they just call the operators, who dispatch a private
      taxi. This way, the establishment is also involved in ensuring
      that their customers are safe, and the taxi operators and drivers
      can make a little extra money for the inconvenience of being
      hailed at night.

      At our airports, for reasons of security, when a passenger
      arriving in the city hires a taxi, the registration number of the
      taxi, the name of the passenger and the destination of the
      passenger are recorded by a police constable on duty before the
      taxi is allowed to move away from the rank. This is practiced
      even though these are the black and yellow registered taxis, and
      the very fact that these details are on record help to control
      crime to a very large extent. Altho the process takes a bit of
      time, as the taxis with the seated passengers are forced to queue
      up to record these details before they can move away, it seems to
      work, and no-body complains.

      Best regards,

      Bina C. Balakrishnan
      Consultant