World Technology Award for the Environment - 2004 Webcast now on line

  • EcoPlan, Paris
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2004
      To follow up on that last paragraph of my email of this morning concerning
      the World Technology Award for the Environment that was given this year to
      Mayor Ken Livingstone and his team for their Congestion Charging project, we
      can now give you the URL where you can see both the Webcast for the 2004
      World Technology Award ceremony in San Francisco in October:
      http://www.wtn.net/webcast/2004/summit/launch.html

      Now if you do go there, I would suggest that you first pop the Award link at
      the bottom of the home page, which sets off a very long Webcast indeed. If
      your time is short - and whose isn't? - you may just want to have a quick
      gander at the first several minutes in which the energetic WTN president
      James Clark explains the philosophy behind these awards (definitely
      interesting and quite innovative since he has set some rather challenging
      goals). And then if you wish to see the short acceptance speech by Jared
      Blumenfeld who is Director Department of the Environment of SF and who
      accepted the award in the good mayor's name, you can get there by setting
      the little slide that controls the presentation to about 80% of the way to
      its end. And there you'll have it.

      There is also an acceptance speech by Mayor Livingstone which is gracious
      and well informed and which you will be able to click to on the bottom
      right. (In actual fact, Ken misses the correct attribution to the origins
      of thinking and theory behind road pricing, which was not Milton Friedman in
      1952. Rather it was his fellow Nobel Lauriat the wonderful, innovative and
      very kind William Vickerey who got his idea when living in lower Manhattan,
      watching traffic pile up in from of the Lincoln tunnel. I know that for a
      fact because Professor Vickerey, who was my theory professor many years ago,
      told me the story himself over coffee one morning after our class at
      Columbia University. I guess since we are a small family that I should also
      go on record by saying that no matter what a great teacher he was, as he
      was, he and the rest of the faculty there still were not able to turn me
      into an economist.

      There you have it.

      Eric Britton
      "Almost an economist"

      PS. We are getting a first wave of really fine support for the Litman award
      nomination, and if you have not yet got around to it what I can assure you
      is that you will be in very good company indeed.