Tragic loss of personal vehicle - and our commiserations thereupon

  • EcoPlan, Paris
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 24, 2004
      Dear Friends,

      I would like to send this letter to the editor off today, but it
      occurred to me that it might benefit from your comments and suggestions?
      So . . .

      )-;

      Wednesday, November 24, 2004, Paris, France, Europe
      The Editor
      The International Herald Tribune
      6 bis, rue des Graviers
      92521 Neuilly Cedex
      France

      Dear Editor,

      Re the article in your fine newspaper of Tuesday last reporting on the
      theft of the €800,000 (or $1 million) S600 Mercedes-Benz armored
      limousine of DaimlerChrysler's chief executive, Jürgen Schrempp.

      The members of World Transport and the New Mobility Agenda (
      <http://newmobilitypartners.org/> http://newmobilitypartners.org) wish
      to share their heart-felt commiserations with Mr. Schrempp. We care
      deeply about personal mobility and choice, and certainly none of us
      likes to be deprived of our preferred means of transportation.

      In my case however my commiseration goes even more deeply since I too
      have recently been the victim of such a theft. In my case it was my
      newish black bicycle here in Paris, and on my vehicle I had also
      installed some useful extras just as Mr. Schrempp had opted for a
      12-cylinder engine and a sophisticated broadcasting device to help
      retrieve the car. In my case it was a smart new black metal basket for
      carrying my books, day’s shopping and of course the IHT on my way to my
      morning coffee.

      As a gesture of solidarity, I am posting this letter to the more than
      one thousand transportation experts world wide, including several in the
      Stuttgart region, who regularly consult our World Transport/New Mobility
      Forum at <http://newmobility.org/> http://newmobility.org. It is my
      hope that if anyone of us has spotted the vehicle (I understand that it
      too is black) you will let the IHT and Mr. Schrempp know.

      Faithfully,

      Eric Britton
      Convener, The New Mobility Agenda at <http://newmobility.org/>
      http://newmobility.org

      The Commons: Open Society Sustainability Initiative at http://ecoplan.org
      Le Frene, 8/10 rue Joseph Bara 75006 Paris, France
      Free video/voice conferencing: Click to http://newmobilitypartners.org
      E: postmaster@... T: +331 4326 1323

      Bloomberg News , Tuesday, November 23, 2004, Copyright © 2004 The
      International Herald Tribune |

      Car thieves hit Daimler

      DaimlerChrysler's chief executive, Jürgen Schrempp, had his S600 Mercedes-Benz armored limousine stolen while it was parked on a street in Stuttgart, the German city in which the carmaker is based.

      The black company car, which is worth about €800,000, or $1 million,
      disappeared on the night of Oct. 26, Klaus-Peter Arand, a police
      spokesman, said in an interview. The limousine, which sports a
      12-cylinder engine and is equipped with a broadcasting device to help
      retrieve the car, has not been found, the police said.

      Schrempp, 60, has been chief executive of DaimlerChrysler since 1995.
      Hartmut Schick, a spokesman for the world's fifth-largest carmaker,
      confirmed the theft without giving details.

      The S600 is the top limousine with the Mercedes brand.