Researchers: Sprawl Related to Health Woes

  • sonya koch
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 9, 2004
      Researchers: Sprawl Related to Health Woes

      DURHAM, N.C. (AP) - North Carolina researchers are heading a national study
      to find the best ways to redesign communities so that Americans get out of
      their cars and travel by foot or bicycle. The $2.8 million, five-year
      study involves Active Living by Design, headquartered in Chapel Hill, and
      the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences in Research
      Triangle Park."Community design and limited transportation choice often
      prevent people from leading physically active lives," said Richard
      Killingsworth, director of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation's Active
      Living by Design Program.

      Killingsworth was guest editor last year of a special issue of the American
      Journal of Health Promotion that reported that people living amid suburban
      sprawl where walking is difficult are more likely to have weight problems
      and high blood pressure. NIEHS researcher Allen Dearry was also was a key
      project scientist.

      In the new study, Active Living by Design is to help 25 test communities
      across the country focus on improving public health by involving city
      planning, transportation, architecture, recreation, crime prevention,
      traffic safety and education.Chapel Hill, where Killingsworth and Dearry
      both live in subdivisions designed to be walkable, is the only North
      Carolina community involved in the project.Then NIEHS, a branch of the
      National Institutes of Health, is to conduct follow-up examinations of the
      program's impact on physical activity, obesity and other health indicators.

      "We'd like to determine if simple changes in the built environment and in
      individual behavior can enhance physical activity and reduce obesity for
      residents," NIEHS director Kenneth Olden said in announcing the project.
      "Local municipalities could then look at the results and determine if
      modifying the built environment might affect the public's health and reduce
      health care costs."The built environment includes houses, schools and
      workplaces as well as public areas like parks and museums.

      Federal health officials say 64 percent of American adults are overweight
      or obese. Though the causes may involve various genetic, environmental, and
      behavioral factors, evidence continues to point toward sedentary lifestyles
      as a major contributor, and walking as the most healthful way out.
      ---------------------------

      On the Net:
      National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences: www.niehs.nih.gov
      Active Living by Design Program: www.activelivingbydesign.org
      Robert Wood Johnson Foundation: www.rwjf.org

      2004-11-08 12:09:43 GMT Copyright 2004 The Associated Press All
      Rights Reserved
      http://news.findlaw.com/ap_stories/other/1500/11-8-2004/20041108041508_13.ht
      ml

      Sonya PLoS Medicine
      The open-access general medical journal from the Public Library of Science
      Inaugural issue: Autumn 2004 Share your discoveries with the world.
      http://www.plosmedicine.org
    • On Behalf Of Brendan Finn and Sustran
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 21, 2004
        If you click over to the New Mobility Cafe - http://newmobility.org then
        click on left menu Talking New Mobility -- you will see a first rate
        series of exchanges on this topic that I would urge you not to miss,
        that got started on Sustran Network and which is now continuing on both.
        First rate. An example follows to whet your appetite.